New Lopi Liberty (2020 NextGen)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I see that you’re in Missouri too, I bought my stove from advanced chimney in Jamestown mo. Great people to deal with, they walked me through everything to get my duravent chimney built. Some places seem to frown upon diy builds but they were great. I think I just got lucky on my stove. I had a heritage Mansfield on order from back in September of 2020. No real known date as to when it would actually come in. And with everything going on in the world I decided now was the time to get a new stove instead of limping my 40 year old earth stove along another year (not that it isn’t a wonderful stove from a completely different era but the old girl has seen her share of hot fires). I called in and talked to Omie about the Mansfield and asked about the liberty, she said you’re in luck! We have one in stock. I was there the following day to pick it up 🤣. I know they have at least one more on display. I don’t know if it’s for sale or not but if you’re desperate I bet they would make a deal. As to your wood situation, yes dry wood would be ideal. And in the perfect world that some seem to live in that would be best. As for me, I’m a realist lol. I do plan to get a full year of wood in the shed drying and hopefully start on the following year but I have burned about a pickup load of wood through this new stove that has been cut just before burning. It loves dead standing post oak, that stuff measures 16-18% on the moisture meter on a fresh split. Red oak can certainly be hit or miss, some of it holds water like a sponge. But some of it if hollow dries nicely dead standing. I’m burning some tonight actually. A little trick to getting a damp load going quickly (I’m sure this isn’t approved by the safety police so use your best judgment) but just crack the ash tray door. That sucker is like a blow torch. Definitely close it as soon as you see your chimney temps coming up but it dries that wet wood right out and keeps your glass from blacking over 😁. Honestly I think this stove is easier to get going than my old stove and that’s saying something because it was always an easy starter.

Wow good information for sure. We're in the northeast corner and have already gone through with the sale and are just waiting which is fine since it's spring (although still getting cold here and there!). I actually haven't figured out what the moisture is on a lot of this. I am getting 28% on some pieces but I have cut a lot of different things in varying states of decay/dryness. My favorite so far has been a massive swamp white oak with about 10 branches that are so dead the sapwood is all gone leaving nothing but the rock hard heartwood. This will help give me a little more dry time on some stuff. I'm having a lot of fun harvesting and learning more about the trees on the property. We have just endless amounts of hickory/red oak/red cedar (kids will be in charge of kindling) but also lots of cherry and soft maple. A few scattered hackberry/hedge/mulberry.

Hello sir i have a 3 story home my old wood stove is in the basement it’s probably 50yesrs old terribly inefficient i go through way too much wood and i am replacing it within the month at first i was think the new Jotul f500 its a cat and reburn but then i was thinking instead of messing with a cat stove that gets 78% efficiency maybe going with a 70% efficient reburn stove that may require less maintenance might be the answer my questions are

1. For a big stove would you say it’s efficient

2. Is the heat output good for big houses where heat rises from the basement

3. What has your experience been with the stove have you had any issues of over firing

Or 4.is it really as beautiful in person with that large viewing window as it is in the videos

There are a few issues with basement stoves that can make it hard to heat with them. The first is too strong draft due to a flue system that is over 25' tall. That can also waste a lot of wood. The second is when the heat has a hard time convecting upstairs. The last and very common reason is uninsulated basement walls. About 1/3 of the heat generated is sucked out through the walls to the earth and air. That equates to one cord out of three going to heat mother nature. Often the best solution, in these cases, is to move the stove up to the main floor where the heat is desired the most.

The Liberty is a big, efficient, well-made, and willing heater. It can overfire like any other stove due to too high draft and/or user inattention. The latter is often the case with basement stoves left unattended. A remote thermometer is a big help at addressing this problem.