New Lopi Revere Installation Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfish

Nov 15, 2008
Western Washington
Hello all, just found this website and must say that I am most impressed by all the expertise that’s freely shared.
I am new at this so please bear with me if these questions seem too “newbie”.
I have purchased a Lopi Revere insert and am getting around to installing it myself. Here is what I am faced with:

1. An existing masonry fireplace that has a damper that opens to 4-1/2” x 30”
2. Beyond the damper, the flue angles 45 degrees for about a foot before starting it’s vertical run on the exterior wall.
3. The vertical run consists of a 9” round steel liner inside a masonry chimney that runs for 12’.
4. The perimeter of the liner at the top is blocked off with mortar and the bottom perimeter of the liner is blocked off with packed fireproof insulation.

My questions:

1. Can I get away with just using a block-out plate through which I’d run my 6” stovepipe. I’d terminate the stovepipe once through the block-out.
2. Do you think I’d get sufficient draw with this arrangement or will I need to run 6” liner all the way up the existing 9” liner.
3. If I must run a new liner through the damper, will ovalizing it so it fits in the 4-1/2” damper opening restrict the air flow too much?
4. What other options do I have?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.