New Lopi/Travis Industries Nexgen Large Flush Wood Insert install using Millpac sealant

TrailOre

New Member
Feb 23, 2021
5
Southern Oregon, U.S.A.
Greetings from a newby. I'm a new owner of the Large Flush Wood Insert (Nexgen) from Travis Industries/Lopi. We have about 60 - 70 hours burn time on it so far, it was installed about a month ago using a new insulated liner inside our existing masonry chimney. Our installer used Millpac sealant and we're still getting a nasty "burned grease" smell during and even long after we burn. For instance, our last burn was five days ago and this morning's cold air, I believe, is moving down the chimney and forcing the stink through the small gap between the shroud and the wall. This smell is beyond unpleasant. From what I've read Millpac is meant to cure with heat. Well, we've had some hot burns (500-600F) and I'm wondering if the stink will ever go away. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of the smell? Is it just a matter of continuing to burn and eventually (some day) it will go away? At this point the wife and I are second guessing whether or not it was a good idea to have made this purchase. Thank you in advance for any comments/advice.
 

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
23,484
central pa
Greetings from a newby. I'm a new owner of the Large Flush Wood Insert (Nexgen) from Travis Industries/Lopi. We have about 60 - 70 hours burn time on it so far, it was installed about a month ago using a new insulated liner inside our existing masonry chimney. Our installer used Millpac sealant and we're still getting a nasty "burned grease" smell during and even long after we burn. For instance, our last burn was five days ago and this morning's cold air, I believe, is moving down the chimney and forcing the stink through the small gap between the shroud and the wall. This smell is beyond unpleasant. From what I've read Millpac is meant to cure with heat. Well, we've had some hot burns (500-600F) and I'm wondering if the stink will ever go away. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of the smell? Is it just a matter of continuing to burn and eventually (some day) it will go away? At this point the wife and I are second guessing whether or not it was a good idea to have made this purchase. Thank you in advance for any comments/advice.
Millpac never really cures but i have never had it put off a smell either. Was the chimney properly cleaned ahead of time
 

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
86,484
South Puget Sound, WA
Where was the Millpac used? Hopefully not at the flue collar.
 

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
86,484
South Puget Sound, WA
It is rated at 1050º, but it may outgas at lower temps. It shouldn't be needed at the flue collar which is the hottest point exiting the stove. If there is a large gap, then gasket rope should have been used.
 

TrailOre

New Member
Feb 23, 2021
5
Southern Oregon, U.S.A.
It is rated at 1050º, but it may outgas at lower temps. It shouldn't be needed at the flue collar which is the hottest point exiting the stove. If there is a large gap, then gasket rope should have been used.
Hmm... ok, good to know, thank you. At this point, though, I'm having to figure out what to do from here. Do you (or does anyone) have an idea on how to stop it from off-gassing? Will time or maybe repeated burns tame this beast?
 

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
86,484
South Puget Sound, WA
First try to pinpoint the source. Remove the surround and sniff the flue collar area, using a section of hose if necessary. See if you can pinpoint the odor. Scrape off some of the Millpac around the flue collar and smell it. If that is the odor, then remove as much as possible.