New member guidance-

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jagibbs3

Jan 11, 2023
Virginia
I just installed my PelPro TSC90, and have a couple of questions for the forum. Burns 90 # of pellets in an 18hour period...normal? Needs to be cleaned every couple of days as the burn pot is full of ash, and the glass is covered with soot. Stove has a trim adjustment that I have set @-3? Am currently burning a "premium hardwood pellet" that says it is "high BTU's and "low ash", all which could be fodder. I used to heat with a wood stove and it was never this needy? Thoughts please.

I am also a newbie, but I can say 16-22 hours are about normal for what I have seen for the various brands of pellets. They all say there "premium", and those ash numbers are from laboratory testing not actual use, just like MPG estimates for cars. Based on my tests I would say the amount of actual ash is double. Here is a link to the brands I have tested to date, and I am sure others can give tips to use for your model stove.

The average is 40 lb for 24 hours, but I've been feeding mine 60 lb for 24 hours.

I run my pellet stove on low flame (trim(, over a period of 4 to 6 hours the house will warm up to 74° and I just keep it at that setting. I shut my stove down every other day and clean it really well.