New Member Here and some wood stove advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JoeS500

Jun 10, 2018
Monmouth County NJ
Hey there guys, I'm a new member here. My name is Joe and I'm from central NJ. This looks to be like a very helpful and knowledgeable site. I bought a home 2 years ago with large Fisher stove in my back sunroom. I absolutely love it and am looking to add another stove to my house. I am looking for suggestions on adding either an insert or a freestanding stove into my existing fireplace which is in my lvingroom/kitchen area. Help me out with some pics and suggestions! Looking to heat around 1000 square feet or so. Nothing huge. Thanks guys!

IMG_0550.JPG
I heat 1200 sf in ct. my house is a raised ranch 2x6 construction built in 1994. I have a Lopi cape cod flush insert. Heats my house well as long as we stay in the teens after that I can kind of maintain temp in my house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell us more about the fireplace and if possible post a picture or two of it. Also post the full dimensions front and back including depth top and bottom. Also, roughly how tall is the flue on this fireplace.

Im no expert but wouldnt a wood stove in front of the old fireplace stand a better chance of heating the whole house versus an insert? I suppose the appearance may be subjective to particular taste though.

Reactions: jotulguy
I'm not sure how to post pics on here but my fireplace is about 40"wide in the front, 30" deep with the flue being 35" up. The more i research, I'm looking for a non catalytic insert. Just trying to read through reviews and pick the best one. Looking like PE summit or super are pretty popular.

Last edited:
You have a lot of choices. Look at inserts in the ~2 cu ft range. The PE Super insert would do the job well. No need for a Summit based on the requirements. You could even get away with a smaller insert like the Enviro Kodiak 1200. Here are the measurements needed to check the fit. Also, how tall is the chimney on this fireplace? One story, two story?
Fireplace Dimensions.png

Last edited:
You have a lot of choices. Look at inserts in the ~2 cu ft range. The PE Super insert would do the job well. No need for a Summit based on the requirements. You could even get away with a smaller insert like the Enviro Kodiak 1200. Here are the measurements needed to check the fit. Also, how tall is the chimney on this fireplace? One story, two story?
View attachment 227245
chimney is around the 20' mark, I see mixed reviews on the PE super insert, but that's normal too see good and bad reviews on anything I suppose

Last edited by a moderator:
chimney is around the 20' mark, I see mixed reviews on the PE super insert, but that's normal too see good and bad reviews on anything I suppose
With a 20' chimney you can put in any insert that fits in the fireplace and meets clearance + hearth requirements.

Did you check out the blaze kings? They can burn low and slow and it would be less running around if you have two stoves.

Reactions: Alpine1
Hey guys, after researching and talking to some local stores I ordered a Regency I2400. Seems like a pretty good unit from what I was told.
Congratulations. That is a good workhorse.