New member-Upland 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnydinero

Dec 16, 2014
New York state
hey folks.
I'm buying a upland 27 stove. Looks in really good shape. He says it's never been used,just needs paint. I have a pretty small house, two rooms and kitchen in the down stairs were the stove would be.
Is this a good purchase?
Are there an problems with it that other people have experienced?

I've been rebuilding a vermont castings intrepid that was sitting outside for a long time and it's been a huge pain. Needs new everything more or less. Figured I should get something that's simple and ready to burn.

You have one upped the old VC in operational simplicity. The VC is inherently more complex. By your description, the upland is probably sized about right. This being an old style stove comes with an appetite for fuel. And to do it right - good fuel. Nice and dry along with proper operating temps can help in the quest for a clean burn.

You have one upped the old VC in operational simplicity. The VC is inherently more complex. By your description, the upland is probably sized about right. This being an old style stove comes with an appetite for fuel. And to do it right - good fuel. Nice and dry along with proper operating temps can help in the quest for a clean burn.

What is a good temp to keep it at to get the most effiencey/clean burn?

What is a good temp to keep it at to get the most effiencey/clean burn?
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 550-600F stove top temp during the off gassing phase of the fire.

hey folks.
I'm buying a upland 27 stove. Looks in really good shape. He says it's never been used,just needs paint. I have a pretty small house, two rooms and kitchen in the down stairs were the stove would be.
Is this a good purchase?
Are there an problems with it that other people have experienced?

I've been rebuilding a vermont castings intrepid that was sitting outside for a long time and it's been a huge pain. Needs new everything more or less. Figured I should get something that's simple and ready to burn.

When buying the stove - regardless of whether the seller says its never been used (hard to believe) but ensure it comes with the two side burn plates and the top baffle. Check to ensure they are all in good condition. If indeed it is in never been used condition none of this should be a concern - but can't hurt to check.

I love the stove. I own both the Upland 17 and Upland 27. The front to back burn (cigar burn) is a scandanavian derived burn style. Like I said...I'm a fan. And the 27 can kick out some serious heat. And despite the fact that it doesn't have any of the bells and whistles of modern 'epa exempt' epa certified stoves with secondary burn tube etc....the 27 and 17 for that matter appear to burn very well and produce less smoke at the chimney than let's say other stoves of that era (like the Fisher Baby Bear which I also owned but was very dirty burning based on visible chimney smoke).

Only drawback is lack of a fire view glass door.

Parts are also readily accessible from woodmansparts.

Good Luck with the stove. Treated well and not overfired - it should serve you very well.

Our first stove was an Upland 17. Kept the house warm as long as the temp was above 10. Not big enough for overnight burns. Likes the splits fine. Burned clean when we kept it burning hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.