New model of the Drolet Escape 1800 is now more efficient!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bigger_Al

Feb 11, 2018
NW Arkansas
I noticed on the Drolet website that the Escape is now rated at 1.54 g/hr vs last years model which was 3.89 g/hr. The only difference I see is that the secondary air tubes are all 30 hole now vs. 15 in back, 20 middle back and 30 middle front and front tubes.

My question is: can just this simple change alone improve particulate emission rate that much? If so, should I drill some more holes in the back 2 tubes in my stove?

Thanks

Last edited:
I noticed on the Drolet website that the Escape is now rated at 1.54 g/hr vs last years model which was 3.89 g/hr. The only difference I see is that the secondary air tubes are all 30 hole now vs. 15 in back, 20 middle back and 30 middle front and front tubes.

My question is: can just this simple change alone improve particulate emission rate that much? If so, should I drill some more holes in the back 2 tubes in my stove?

Thanks
Interesting. Wonder why the did the graduated thing to begin with. Perhaps there are other less obvious differences as well, like baffle dimensions. Seems like the old version baffle could have been larger, north-south-wise.

Thanks
Hey Al- Did you decide to drill the holes?

I haven’t yet. The stove been in use for the, most part, 24/7 now. We get a day here and there where I let the coals burn down, but not long enough to disassemble and put the tubes in a drill press.
Looks like the replacement tubes are about $45 a pop. Please let us know if you decide to drill them, I might do the same thing. I'm also curious how the stainless drills.