New Mount Vernon (non AE) Owner, First Fire Difficulties

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BachJeremiah

Aug 29, 2019
Upstate NY
Hello all. I've been lurking about gathering information for my first time owning a pellet stove to go in my recently purchased first home. Found a good deal (so I thought, still may work out) on a Quadra Fire Mount Vernon original stove (non AE). Brought it home today and decided to fire it up outside before bringing it in the house. Read the manual and set the thermostat to the lowest position, set the heat dial on the side of the stove at 4, then turned the thermostat up. What will happen is the combustion fan will come on for roughly 30 seconds, then turn off. This process will continue every minute or so with the fan coming on, then shutting off after 30 seconds. I notice the red call light never illuminates.
I am an auto mechanic and familiar with diagnosis and wiring for the most part, so first thing I did was check the fuse, it's ok. Next I removed the side covers and inspected for any unplugged/damaged wires or anything visibly wrong with the wiring. Nothing jumps out at me. I unplugged the stove, then unplugged the control box and reinserted it to ensure it was seated properly. I notice theres a small dial on the control box, and I also notice the previous owner made lines with a sharpie to the number 0 and 2 settings. I chose to leave that dial alone until I learned a bit more. Edit: I also jumped the thermostat terminals with a piece of scrap wire to rule out the thermostat/thermostat wire not calling for heat.
I was wondering if someone might be able to lead me in a diagnosis direction, fall is only beginning here in Upstate NY but it will get chilly quick. Thanks in advance for any insight you have, I'll be sure to pay it forward on the forum once I learn a bit more.

Last edited:
Is the dial on the control board set to 0? That’s what it sounds like. 0 is a test mode that will run components on and off. Try turning it to two( while the stove is unplugged) and see what happens.

Is the dial on the control board set to 0? That’s what it sounds like. 0 is a test mode that will run components on and off. Try turning it to two( while the stove is unplugged) and see what happens.
I thank you, sir. After looking at the dial on the control box I realized it was pointing towards the 0, so I turned it to setting 2. Stove fired up a few minutes later. Smokey at first but once the flame started it looked like it was doing everything it's supposed to. I let it run for 20 minutes, this thing puts out some heat for sure. Thanks for the quick reply and help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MountainDweller