New oil tank for water storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMISK1

Jan 5, 2009
Western NY
I have the opportuity to receive a new 500 gallon oil tank (never been filled). I want to know if I could use that for a hot water storage tank (un-pressurized). I have several circulator pumps (bought at a local auction) and want to attach a plate exchanger (60 plate from my OWB that I sold) to the tank from my EKO 40.

Would a cylinder type tank with a port cut in top pose any kind of problem? I see a lot of posts where folks use propane tanks (pressurized) but nothing on using oil tanks. I know they would not be good for a pressurized type setup but I was think they would be fine for something unpressurized...Anyone have an experience or input before I give it a try?

Thanks

Steve M
EKO 40 500-600 gallon storage pending

I think the main concern with an unpressurized steel tank like you're talking about is rust. Typically unpressurized systems use large tanks that have EDPM liners to hold the water. You'll also need a way to replenish the water in the tank as water will evaporate due to it being open to the atmosphere.

I've studied both pressurized and unpressurized for more hours than I care to admit and pressurized, to me, is the only way to go...no HX required, separate makeup water system required, moisture issues, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.