New Okie price in Ontario, I almost choked...........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
BTU should like this one. Drove an hour this am to p/u some of them "BURN LIKE GOLD" Okies. Tractor Supply Store is the only retail seller in this area. They are more than happy to sell them to you for "$7.49 a bag" BUT........ if you buy more than 12 bags, they are on sale for "6.99 a bag............................. Everything else in this area is currently $5.99 a bag. @ that price I can see why they should burn like "GOLD"..................

Attachments

• pellet-press.jpg
    pellet-press.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 375
rottiman said:
BTU should like this one. Drove an hour this am to p/u some of them "BURN LIKE GOLD" Okies. Tractor Supply Store is the only retail seller in this area. They are more than happy to sell them to you for "$7.49 a bag" BUT........ if you buy more than 12 bags, they are on sale for "6.99 a bag............................. Everything else in this area is currently $5.99 a bag. @ that price I can see why they should burn like "GOLD"..................

The very nature of being a pellet burner is the very frugality of the endeavor. I am of the opinion that there are good and bad pellets. I don't believe for 1 minute I would be able to tell the difference between a Spruce Pointe pellet and an Okanagan pellet. Certainly not enough to justify a 29% increase in price. I believe the producers that maintain a sound quality control program, produce simliar products with simliar end user results.

This board and all the hype these pellets get, has intrigued me to try them if I ever see them... however I wouldn't switch to pay 29% more.

Heating with a pellet stove is more about controlling your costs, then it is keeping up with the joneses.

BTU said:
havlat24 said:
rottiman said:

The very nature of being a pellet burner is the very frugality of the endeavor. I am of the opinion that there are good and bad pellets. I don't believe for 1 minute I would be able to tell the difference between a Spruce Pointe pellet and an Okanagan pellet. Certainly not enough to justify a 29% increase in price. I believe the producers that maintain a sound quality control program, produce simliar products with simliar end user results.

This board and all the hype these pellets get, has intrigued me to try them if I ever see them... however I wouldn't switch to pay 29% more.

Heating with a pellet stove is more about controlling your costs, then it is keeping up with the joneses.

havlat24...I totally agree with you..I wouldn't pay 29% more either unless it represented a 29% better value for me and I doubt that would be this case compared against Spruce Pointes. That said, we have nothing to do with what ANY retailer sells our product for...The market determines that by supply and demand as determined by them..not us. If they think that their market will command this price, then so be it. If they sit on the shelf and don't move, then maybe they will lower the price. That is what free enterprise is all about.

I understand the market dictates price, but surely you must chuckle when you see people paying the prices they are for your product.

I almost choke everytime i see what people are paying for a sheet of plywood at the hardware store.

BTU said:
rottiman said:

Glad to see a big box in Canada stock a better product....Knew we had sold them (Lowes in Canada also) but this isn't my territory...don't see this happening anytime in the future in the US (Both Lowes and TSS in Canada operate totally differently than in the US and are separate companies from their US counterparts)

Might want to suggest to whoever does cover this territory to look @ some potential dealers other than big box. In this part of the country Big Box sellers are far and few between, anywhere from 1 to 3 hour drive. In this area we mostly deal with the small local businessman who sells comparable product @ 29% less than the BIG BOX. Big Box domination is an prime example of why both countries economies are right on the edge of falling into the great abyss. The greedier we can all get, the faster we will all sink......................................Bigger ain't totally better.

Status
Not open for further replies.