New Old Score #2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HisTreeNut

Minister of Fire
Nov 3, 2014
Burnsville, NC
So I got out to my buddy's house to start working on a bunch of the trees he's saved for me.
Have some white pine to get, some white oak and a sycamore among so e other wood I cut and has been sitting there for a year and a half.
Here is load number one...any guesses to the species the tree?

IMG_20220402_173637018_HDR.jpg IMG_20220402_173652145_HDR.jpg

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
looks like a type of oak to me.

Looks like white oak.
How does it smell when you cut or split it ? Like bourbon ?

It has a very sweet, sugary smell to it. My buddy said it was post oak. The very large logs are 300+ pounds a piece. He counted the rings on on of the logs and if I remember correctly, he said there were 143.

It has a very sweet, sugary smell to it. My buddy said it was post oak.
That sounds right. Post oak is in the white oak group. Looks like a big one !
Great firewood, but white oaks take extra time to season to an acceptable moisture content.

Sycamore: It's tough splitting wood. Make sure your ok with splitting it before you take too much of it.

Reactions: HisTreeNut
Sycamore: It's tough splitting wood. Make sure your ok with splitting it before you take too much of it.
I have a few more loads to get. I am preparing for the sycamore...borrowing another buddy's splitter.
Although, I will probably be buying one this year. The place I would rent one from when I needed one closed down.

+1 on the white oak. the sycamore is hard to split make sure you keep your hand on it because it can pop fast and if not expecting it it does hurt. good firewood tho

White oak. My favorite firewood.

Reactions: T-roy_
Like white oak also. Speaking of loads of wood, here is load #2. White pine, red oak, and some hickory that sat on the ground too long. That may become wood for the fire pit unfortunately.
IMG_20220405_142240122.jpg

First photo seems like white oak.

Definitely looks like white oak. But sugary sweet? All the white oak I've split has a vinegary/pickle smell to it.