New Osburn 1800 Insert, where's the heat??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, thanks for the feedback

the insert is going on the main floor. this is a one storey bungelow.
basement exterior walls are not insulated just yet. will be in the future.

re: if the chimney is exterior, I’d insist on the liner being insulated.

the chimney is on the exterior back side of the house and was actually redone about 5 years back.

what would be the problem if the liner is not insulated ?
shouldn't the flue be blocked off with insulation directly below and around the 6" liner ?

will there be condensation problems ?

I have an Osburn 1800 insert. I also have a Magnolia wood stove. The wood stove gives off about 3 times the heat of the insert for the same amount of wood.
Inserts have no heat coming off of stove pipe.
The air circulation box and fan around the insert is much less efficient than a a free standing stove.
They really need a bigger fan but that would make it hard to hear the TV.
My wood stove two rooms away heats the living room better than the insert in the living room. I move the wood stove air with a window fan on medium in the doorway.
Basically I am disappointed with the insert but I don't think it is that exact insert. I think it is a problem with any insert if you are used to a free standing stove.
Just like the first EPA approved cars in the '70s. They put out 20% less pollutant's per gallon but burned 30% more gas and stalled all the time.
That is my opinion and my experience.

I sincerely doubt the problem is with your woodstove or size of stove. Maybe the fact that it is an insert has something to do with it (I have no experience in that regard), but your description of the creosote in your chimney means that your are most likely burning wood that is too wet. My second guess is that your house is not well insulated and/or drafty. I would make sure that you have at least 16" of fiberglass insulation (or equivalent R-value) installed in your attic - the ceiling is where you lose 30-50% of your heat.

Tell us more about how much insulation you have in the house...

From what I've seen here over and over again . . . many folks who dislike EPA stoves and say they're not pumping out enough heat either have unseasoned wood (but think they have seasoned wood), have an under-size stove and bought the stove based on how it looked vs. how well it could heat or don't understand how to run the stoves (i.e. learning how to achieve the secondary burn, engaging the cat, knowing how and when to turn down the air for max heat vs. leaving the air open all the way and seeing lots of flames but not heating up the stove, etc.)

Some folks stay and listen to those who have come before and have learned . . . and in turn they are shown the light. Others refute the advice and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.