New owner - double-sided

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

santa_

Dec 12, 2022
NH
Hi Hearth members, recent lurker and interested on asking the community it's opinion on the best route for me to go for my new-to-me double-sided fireplace.

A wood burning method would be preferred with the readily accessible wood that I have on the property and I already have 3/4 of a cord worth stacked in the back. A stand-alone wood stove was not something my wife wants as it would 1) take space 2) limited area to be installed, so she would prefer to take advantage of the existing fireplace as best as we can.

We had a local chimney company inspect and got the thumbs up to use it. The home is 33 years old and the fireplace has never been used, understandably it is more for aesthetics at this point.

The total area of where I'd like to heat is around 1400sq ft, though any supplemental would come from central heating. The room that the fireplaces are in is (see pictures, brick) 20x18 with 10ft to 15ft cathedral ceilings and 15x18 with 10ft to 15ft ceilings. We recently have opened up the walls to permit walking on either side of the fireplace (pictures are older).

From my research, an actual insert that provides double-sided viewing is out of the question for my masonry fireplace. However, I'd be interested to figure out the steps I should take to get an single-sided insert installed. We would mostly spend time in the living room space (brick with chandelier) and don't mind having the insert on this side and the side with the stone work a standard glass cover that just covers the back of the insert.

For reference the dimensions of the rough opening is 29 1/4" L x 30 1/2" H x 33 1/8" D
Screenshot 2022-12-12 112342.png Screenshot 2022-12-12 112319.png

Search the forum for “double sided F45” it was a good start to end discussion. They decided on a free standing stove and not an insert. an insert without a surround is an option. The liner can be concealed with 8” black Stove pipe after install.

Modern or classic styling?

Consider an insert or stove with a blower. I'd put a perforated metal cover on the backside to provide some heating there. The cover could be painted black or other color.

Search the forum for “double sided F45” it was a good start to end discussion. They decided on a free standing stove and not an insert. an insert without a surround is an option. The liner can be concealed with 8” black Stove pipe after install.

Modern or classic styling?
This looks perfect for the dimensions. Thank you for providing the suggestion of a model! Will call local companies to see what they are quoting.

For styling, no preference.

This looks perfect for the dimensions. Thank you for providing the suggestion of a model! Will call local companies to see what they are quoting.

For styling, no preference.
Do know the F45 will require several extra steps to clean (you must take the back shield off so you want to have access to the rear of the stove) if you top vent it.