New P68 developing ticking on heat up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 29, 2021
VA, east central
After about 30 hours of use I've noticed a new ticking/clicking sound when the stove is first heating up from expanding metal pieces rubbing each other. It's coming from the top/heat exchanger area. Makes me wonder if there's a bad weld, or if some of the overlapped metal I could see in the back corners of the heat exchanger has just warped ever so slightly and now rubs as it heats up.

Anybody else noticing this with their Harman's, or any pellet stove for that matter?

I doubt I would have paid much attention if it had done it from the start and/or wasn't in the heat exchanger area as opposed to the back of the stove where bolt/screw fasteners are used. But yeah, I doubt there's any issues, more curious than anything else.
Thanks all.

When my P61a is cold and it’s cold outside it’ll pop and tick as it’s warming up

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s just metal expansion, mine does the same...does it go away after it’s up and running for a bit?

Reactions: DeadTreeBurner
Mine do that too.

The P43 also has one really loud tick (much different than the normal ticking) as it is heating up and then again as it is going cold (sometime after the exhaust fan going off). Maybe it has something to do with having the heat shields on the sides, I don't know. I've learned to ignore it.

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s just metal expansion, mine does the same...does it go away after it’s up and running for a bit?
Yeah, no doubt for me that it's heat expansion. It just got my attention because it didn't make any noise during the first half dozen or so cold starts. You can see some overlapped metal "tabs" that don't have a weld bead in the back corners when peering into the space above the heat exchanger under the stove top. So it's probably a slight change in position of something like that that's now rubbing when the stove is heating up or cooling down.

After about 30 hours of use I've noticed a new ticking/clicking sound when the stove is first heating up from expanding metal pieces rubbing each other. It's coming from the top/heat exchanger area. Makes me wonder if there's a bad weld, or if some of the overlapped metal I could see in the back corners of the heat exchanger has just warped ever so slightly and now rubs as it heats up.

Anybody else noticing this with their Harman's, or any pellet stove for that matter?
P61A here.. Alway get some clicking sounds cold start..8 yrs now.. goes away.. also the OAK inlet flap likes to click/dance a bit on cold start also.

My Accentra 52i started making the same taking noises on heat-up. From other threads Harman will replace if the noise is bad, but the new ones suffer the same problem. I have a theory that maybe it is only an issue as the stove gets used and there is some build-up. I wonder if it will quiet down after a cleaning.

Mine makes a “ticking” in the metal as it expands when heating up, but if it’s a fan motor, it usually won’t go away after it warms up

Just metal expansion and contraction your central furnace does the same thing.