New Papa Bear Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mdfisher

Jan 8, 2017
Rising sun maryland
Just bought my papa bear yesterday from a friend..... I went and looked at it not knowing anything about them... My first wood stove... Came home and found this forum... Read everything i could... Learned alot... Thanx coaly... Went right back and bought it... Gave him what he was asking for it... In great shape... Always inside it seams bearly used... Now i have to install it.... The fun begins.......

Congrats, as you've probably read that was the first size built that became the first air-tight steel stove produced. As the models became smaller for peoples needs and all the frills were added like double doors for fire viewing, nickel, brass, glass, pedestals and stoves to cover every niche, the Papa Bear from the longest log and the simplest heating to it's maximum output is tough to beat.
I gave you your own thread where you can ask questions if needed during the install and keep us posted on your progress. Welcome to the Forum, and family of Fisher Stove owners!

Is it normal for these stoves to look nearly new even when 40 or so years old?.... I don't know much history on this stove but i would think it was brand new if there wasn't some ashes left inside..... Can't find any markings on it also in the places i've been told to look .... Paint looks original.....

I just bought this the other day and i already want a grandpa with two glass front doors.... If i find one soon i'm putting this one in the garage.....it's going in my living room i would like to be able to see the fire.....

it's going in my living room i would like to be able to see the fire.....
Unfortunately unless you clean the glass every day you will not really be seeing much of the fire on one of them.

Reactions: Mdfisher
They can be an addiction. I bought and restored and installed a mama bear in my shop last year. And have a grandpa bear to restore now.Also found a set of bear claw feet on ebay for cheap.

I'm looking for some feet now..... Nothing cheap though..... I can see how addicting it can be.... A couple days owning one and already want more..... And it's not even in use yet....... Lol

I have a Mama Bear in the basement as a back up heat source and a Baby Bear sitting in the shed waiting for a cabin to put it in. Also I just sold a Papa Bear a month ago.

I should probably put this one in the basement but it is the only one i have and i want one in the living room......if i find one with glass doors i will put this in the basement then.....

Yes... all block... friend of mine does this kind of work.... he says once footer is done the chimney will be up in a day.... then he is doing the inside in stone.....

Mdfisher, where are you getting stone? The first floor fireplace and outside chimney on my house is done in Butler Broken Face, the basement stonework is Susquehanna Sandstone, both purchased in Quarryville, PA. Don't know if the guy is still in business since that was 30 years ago.

If your looking for another option, bel air road supply down in golden ring on rt 40 has tons. Stone, thin stone veneer, brick and brick veneer, and manufactured stone. They had a lot of display and a lot of it is in stock. That's where I got all mine from

A day?? Mortar squeezes out of joints when setting more than 4 feet a day. The slower it dries the stronger it gets, so mixing it stiff isn't a good solution. I've built a few with a stone mason by trade that does block and brick work as well. It sets up overnight and we keep it wet carefully for 30 days without washing cement out of mortar in joints. Somethings wrong there.

Bel Air Road Supply also has stove fire brick (known as Splits) out in the yard for cheaper than anywhere else around. I think $1.45 each.

Coal, they might be using what we call "Lick and Stick" stone. Thin manufactured veneer stone. If done right it's hard to tell from real stone.

Below is Susquahanna Sandstone quarried near my home.
Pieces are 4 - 6" thick.
Mama Bear.JPG

That looks great! Here's mine, i had to go with manufactured stone because of weight reasons, but it looks awesome and I'm happy with it. The hearth pad is real 2" bluestone.

57960F43-6A50-48C8-9137-F2C2097385E8.png

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
A day?? Mortar squeezes out of joints when setting more than 4 feet a day. The slower it dries the stronger it gets, so mixing it stiff isn't a good solution. I've built a few with a stone mason by trade that does block and brick work as well. It sets up overnight and we keep it wet carefully for 30 days without washing cement out of mortar in joints. Somethings wrong there.
I lay quite a bit of brick and block and some stove and we regularly lay way more that 4 feet in a day. We easily build a block chimney in a day. And with modern mortar there is no need to keep it wet for 30 days at all. With old lime mortar yes but not modern portland based stuff at all.