Harman XXV Feed Issie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VTKeith

Dec 16, 2022
Vermont
Hello! First off thank you for the information, new pellet stove owner here, and this forum has been a ton of help! However I couldn’t find what I needed here, or online so I figured I’d ask the professionals.

The house we bought has a Harman XXV, not sure what year, and it’s worked flawlessly up until now. One night the auger/feed motor just stopped working. Without digging into it, I replaced the motor, cleaned everything and when I went to fire it back up… NOTHING. So I did some more troubleshooting and found what I thought was a bad vacuum switch. Replaced that as well as checked all the connections and it started to work.. kinda.

It would feed but no where the amount I was requesting, thus resulting in a “lazy” flame? The flame barely made it outside of the pot and then after awhile would die out due to the feed system not sending any pellets, and on top of that, the feed system is not working anymore, bad circuit board? (Tested the motor again and it’s still working perfectly, and double checked it was the right motor.)

It looks like it’s the same feed motor set up as a Harman Accentra, and when I went to install it I made sure the hook bracket was in the same position, everything was flush, set screw was on the flat section, etc.. only notable difference was the sound when it would send pellets. It didn’t sound strained or anything, so I’m not too worried about it, but want to provide as much info as possible.

Thank you for your help!

V/r
Keith

Hello! First off thank you for the information, new pellet stove owner here, and this forum has been a ton of help! However I couldn’t find what I needed here, or online so I figured I’d ask the professionals.

The house we bought has a Harman XXV, not sure what year, and it’s worked flawlessly up until now. One night the auger/feed motor just stopped working. Without digging into it, I replaced the motor, cleaned everything and when I went to fire it back up… NOTHING. So I did some more troubleshooting and found what I thought was a bad vacuum switch. Replaced that as well as checked all the connections and it started to work.. kinda.

It would feed but no where the amount I was requesting, thus resulting in a “lazy” flame? The flame barely made it outside of the pot and then after awhile would die out due to the feed system not sending any pellets, and on top of that, the feed system is not working anymore, bad circuit board? (Tested the motor again and it’s still working perfectly, and double checked it was the right motor.)

It looks like it’s the same feed motor set up as a Harman Accentra, and when I went to install it I made sure the hook bracket was in the same position, everything was flush, set screw was on the flat section, etc.. only notable difference was the sound when it would send pellets. It didn’t sound strained or anything, so I’m not too worried about it, but want to provide as much info as possible.

Thank you for your help!

V/r
Keith
To add: I confirmed the combustion motor is working, and everything else works as well, distribution fans, igniter, etc…

I did not, I just cross checked the PNs to make sure they matched. I did test the old one; and noticed they had similar rotation speed, however I did not time it.

Most common "mistake", not getting the fines cover back on right, causing auger issues.
2 other things, vacuum switch or hopper switch acting up, causing issues. You can jumper/bypass them to test stove. Yours may not have a hopper switch, depends on the year.

Reactions: jackman
Most common "mistake", not getting the fines cover back on right, causing auger issues.
2 other things, vacuum switch or hopper switch acting up, causing issues. You can jumper/bypass them to test stove. Yours may not have a hopper switch, depends on the year.
Thank you! Yes I bypassed when I installed it to ensure the auger was working. I will double check the fines box!

Thank you! Yes I bypassed when I installed it to ensure the auger was working. I will double check the fines box!
Mt Bob, thank you!!! I went back and double check the fines box cover and sure enough it wasn’t attached at the top. Put it in right, fired her up and she is ROARING!!! Thank you so much for your input and helping me fix the problem. Glad I don’t have to wait for a service call and burn more fuel oil !

Did that on my XXV too. They symptom was different in that it wouldn't start up at all.

Mt Bob, thank you!!! I went back and double check the fines box cover and sure enough it wasn’t attached at the top. Put it in right, fired her up and she is ROARING!!! Thank you so much for your input and helping me fix the problem. Glad I don’t have to wait for a service call and burn more fuel oil !
You are welcome, now stay warm!!

Reactions: jackman