New Pellet Co in Fitchburg, MA $225/ton for one day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SparkyDog said:
I would never buy a ton of pellets without burning at least 5 bags of the stuff. Got burned with Maine Woods last year...NEVER AGAIN!
Hope this place makes a decent pellets....but gotta be some kind of trusting individual to plunk down money on an untested product!

That is why I didn't go for it either, especially since they are a new plant. Luckily, my neighbors did so I'll see if they want to trade 5 or 6 bags so I can try them.

ducker said:
called today spoke with Brenda.

They stated they are running about 2 weeks late then the approx delivery quoted back when I purchased them during the event in June.

Calls to go out last week of August, for delivery beginning Sept. People closer to the factory to receive delivery sooner it sounded like.

See stressed that I don't hear from them by Sept, to call.

As long as lines of communication are open, I'm comfortable with this so far. I just wanted to fire up a bag and check it out :)
This sounds a lot like what I heard from a little company called NEP LLC... I hope it works out better for you guys than it did for most of the folks that dealt with NEP. ;)

NEP, LLC, notwithstanding, I cant stress enough to try them first, before you commit to a major quantity...they might be great, they might not...I sure dont know.....

Wet1 said:
ducker said:
called today spoke with Brenda.

They stated they are running about 2 weeks late then the approx delivery quoted back when I purchased them during the event in June.

Calls to go out last week of August, for delivery beginning Sept. People closer to the factory to receive delivery sooner it sounded like.

See stressed that I don't hear from them by Sept, to call.

As long as lines of communication are open, I'm comfortable with this so far. I just wanted to fire up a bag and check it out :)
This sounds a lot like what I heard from a little company called NEP LLC... I hope it works out better for you guys than it did for most of the folks that dealt with NEP. ;)

True enough... if they were a mere 15min drive from my house - I doubt I would have pulled the trigger.

Drove past the plant this morning on my way to work and there yard is starting to fill up with pallets of pellets, they should be calling people by now.

mnkywrnch said:
Drove past the plant this morning on my way to work and there yard is starting to fill up with pallets of pellets, they should be calling people by now.
Very nice to hear.

thanks for the update!

I ordered some of these through my local hardware and they called last Friday and said their order had come in. I wasn't able to pick them up yet but it appears they are making progress.

Called today. Bad news.
Their bagging machine broke and they are behind schedule.

They are looking to start shipments again in about 2 weeks or so out from now. And anticipating having deliveries going by October. I spoke with the Accountant (??) who's in once a week. He seemed rather open in discussing the situation, and brought up the possibility that if I did need them really badly, they can look in to shipping out 1 ton ASAP, and the remainder of the order later as soon as it became available.
(with gas prices where they are, I'm ok though..)

In terms of what HAS gone out; as I know from other posters that they have been producing/bagging product. They have shipped out some to wholesalers, as well as some of the earliest pre-orders based on the Invoice number.

I stressed to him the fact that I am understanding but it puts my confidence in a new company like this in question as far as supporting them through future business. How I would really love to see a new local company like this succeed, but with all these setbacks I'm beginning to have my doubts about going with them with my future pellet needs. And If I'm calling you and voicing my concerns, I'm sure there are quite a few other people out there who feel similarly but aren't taking the time to contact you all; but will find pellets elsewhere next year.

I'll be contacting them again after the 23rd of Sept to see how things are progressing.

I to called yesterday and the story I was given was they were waiting on a screen for the screening machine because the pellets were coming out to dirty for them,I agree with ducker my faith in them producing is in question for future purchases.

mnkywrnch said:
I to called yesterday and the story I was given was they were waiting on a screen for the screening machine because the pellets were coming out to dirty for them,I agree with ducker my faith in them producing is in question for future purchases.

ok, what the hell, two different stories regarding the status of the pellets? ugh.. I do remember him (the guy I spoke with) talking a bit about the pellets were not of the quality they want to distribute; perhaps he was referencing the failing screen.

I also called today, got the screen story from them. Was told to expect delivery in about two weeks. ill give till oct 1st , then i will start getting pisssssst.

Im right there with you harley it took me 4 times calling just to talk with someone I didnt buy my whole season supply there but do know people that have hopefully they come through or there will be alot pisst of people .

Been reading the messages with some concern. 8-/ I ordered a ton to try them out. Actually because of scheduling, I can't pick them up before October anyway. Has anyone actually received any and tried them yet? Guess if it all goes to crap, I'll buy a ton of NEWP and be out $249 (wonder if they will gove refunds) :mad:

wife got a call from them today. they will be delivering 2 out of my 4 tons today. I doubt I'll have time to give them a try tonight, but perhaps tomorrow night I will.
At the very least I will open up a bag and give a look see.

I was expecting 1 ton early, and the remaining 3 tons in about a month. Getting half my order at this time works for me. I'm rather close to the plant, and they know my wife is pregnant (as she was the one calling them during the day) and due in a couple of weeks, and they didn't want to do the delivery of pellets when we had our hands full with a different sort of delivery :)

Will keep you posted.

ducker - please post some pics of the pellets too

Orange Crush CJ-7 said:
ducker - please post some pics of the pellets too

That I should be able to do tonight.

(I need to clean out my hopper... 2 year old son, put some dirt in there, and I left a few pellets in there. Need to vacuum it all out - otherwise I'd fine the time to fire them up tonight)

Stopped by the pellet plant today as I was in Fitchburg. Seems to be no problem picking up my ton a week from Sat. Looked at the skids in the yard, they seemed well wrapped. Looking forward to Ducker's burning experience.

2 ton sitting in my drive way awaiting some attention from me to put away.

One bag was nicked - they replaced it with another bag.

I'm looking forward to checking them out.

Keep in mind, last year I was burning InstaHeat pellets and I felt as if their BTU output was less then stellar, and they had tons of fines in the bags.

Ok. here we go...

They smelt nice and fresh - lovely smell. I emptied 1 bag in to the hopper to check out fines. I had less then 1/2 a cup of fines in 1 bag; which I was very happy to see. I picked a bag that had a rip in it (which they did replace) so it may have see a few more fines in there then I would have in other bags in the ton. Also, I am rather close to the plant, so I'd imagine they didn't have much for travel time.

I did get a chance to fire them up. I don't have a ton of different pellet experience, just about 4 different brands, and by far, this was the nicest burning pellet I've had. It caught with my torch faster then my InstaHeat pellets last year, and they felt as if they were burning noticeably hotter to me. Now, the house was 74 when I was testing them, and perhaps that has something to do with it, I'm not sure. But the flame itself looked stronger and hotter.

Most pellets are nice size, a few longer ones here and there - and a couple that looked like they were scorched a little bit going through the die (had black on them)

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

Does the back of the bag have more info? Front says "low ash" but I couldn't see if the package says what percentage of ash.

mnkywrnch said:
Ducker those sure look nice, cant wait to get mine to test.Happy burning.

Yes, they do - I should take a pic of them next to last years InstaHeat ones, and see how they compare. I was just really surprised at the nice smell of them.

I may also take a picture with an item of a known size in the frame as well, otherwise it's really hard to tell the size of the pellets.

Just bumping this back to the top anyone else get there pellets Im still waiting for the one ton I orderd.

I called them today as I had a truck for tomorrow. They need more notice, said call Wed. for next week. Guess it's next week. Has any one burned any yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.