New pellet stove owner question(s)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ThawMyTongue

Mar 18, 2018
Delaware, OH
New member and new pellet stove owner here. I have been lurking here for a bit and finally made the plunge.

I wanted to get into the pellet game for cheap if possible, but I also want to do things right. I picked up a 55-TRPEP factory 2nd from Amfm-energy. I was going to get the insert version (as my install will be in as existing fireplace), but the inserts sold out. So I figured I would buy the freestanding and then buy the insert conversion. My goal is to supplement, but not replace my propane heat. The house is a 2000sf two story farmhouse.

I am currently prepping and cleaning the fireplace and getting electric run. And I guess I have a few questions.

First off, I am planning on running the OAK straight through the back of the fireplace (no clean out) by punching through the brick. It will end up about 4 feet off the ground on the south side of the house which should put it above any snowfall we normally get here in Ohio. Is there any obvious issue with this plan?

I am planning on buying a Fireside Chimney Supply 25 foot 316Ti 4” flexible liner kit with clean out T and cap. Is this a decent liner kit? Installation seems rather straightforward and my chimney is about 22 feet tall.

Thanks for any and all answers!

This is the way I set mine up in 2009. Keep it clean and it will give good heat .Very good stove .

Or punch out the wall and put a 3' rise on the outside.

So it has been a few weeks, but I have the stove in and running. Liner and OAK install were much more straight-forward than I was thinking they would be.

This thing is awesome! Haven't turned on the central heat yet this week. I have the wiring installed for a thermostat, but am just running it manually right now. What are recommendations for thermostats? I'm leaning toward an old fashioned mechanical stat so I can easily set the dwell time so as not to be cycling the stove on and off too frequently. What are you all using with good results?