New Quad 1200i not working!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sawbeans

Dec 30, 2018
Virginia
My wife and I recently bought a brand new Quadra Fire Classic Bay 1200i and had it installed by our local dealer. About a month ago it just stopped coming on unless you hit the reset button. After hitting the button: pellets drop, creates a fire but the convection blower never comes on. It only creates a fire or two before the unit shuts down.

Our dealer thought that it might be a faulty #1 snap disc and ordered a lower temp one seeing as its a mask art install. However it’s a 100 degree snap disc already which I’m pretty sure is what they are ordering. I tested the snap disk and the blower myself and both work (closed circuit and lighter test). We’ve also tried two different thermostats.

I tried putting a small space heater next to the left side to warm up the unit a little before starting and the same thing happens.

Any ideas? Given how recently the unit was installed this is definitely on the dealer to fix. Just seeing if anyone else has had similar issues.

Quads do have a "cold start" issues, mine has never gone more than 1 reset and its off to the races. have you tried running it without the thermostat? just remove tstat wires and put a paper clip in the block instead. see if it fires and runs normal.

Reactions: kappel15
This should be under warranty if brand new..

Sounds like thermocouple issue if fire dies out within 10-15 minutes. Stove doesn't get hot enough for convection fan to come on. Is thermocouple pushed into end of ceramic cap so it detects fire temperature quickly. If you could see control board you should see green LED turn on within a few minutes of fire starting, then it turns red once up to temperature.

This should be under warranty if brand new..

Sounds like thermocouple issue if fire dies out within 10-15 minutes. Stove doesn't get hot enough for convection fan to come on. Is thermocouple pushed into end of ceramic cap so it detects fire temperature quickly. If you could see control board you should see green LED turn on within a few minutes of fire starting, then it turns red once up to temperature.

It is under warranty. Let’s just say it’s been kind of difficult to get the dealer out to my house... another issue in itself. Would the control box not be blinking Amber if there was a thermocouple issue?

Quads do have a "cold start" issues, mine has never gone more than 1 reset and its off to the races. have you tried running it without the thermostat? just remove tstat wires and put a paper clip in the block instead. see if it fires and runs normal.

This will just make it continually run correct?

So I jumped it and the control box blinks blue. Pellets drop and a fire started but never got to size and went out pretty quick. I hit the reset button and the green call light eventually came on and the fire came to its regular size. It burned for about 10-15 then went out. Green light on the control box stayed green the entire time. Fire went out, no more pellets dropped and the convection fan never came on. Eventually just cooled down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Can you confirm thermocouple is touching inside tip of ceramic cover? Sounds like thermocouple is not getting hot enough to allow stove to keep feeding pellets. Is feed gate opened fully? Could be faulty thermocouple but try these tips first. Usually box will blink amber if it's bad.

Can you confirm thermocouple is touching inside tip of ceramic cover? Sounds like thermocouple is not getting hot enough to allow stove to keep feeding pellets. Is feed gate opened fully? Could be faulty thermocouple but try these tips first. Usually box will blink amber if it's bad.

I took it apart and verified it was touching. I don’t suspect the thermocouple given that the system worked fine in October and November. The fire seem to be pretty low now. Feed gate is open all the way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 101
Would suggest trying a different brand of pellets. Is the burnpot closing fully underneath too (the half moon)?? Lastly, on the initial feed, is it delivering a full load of fuel?? Should look down into burnpot and see two holes not covered with pellet?? Like others, wondering if thermocouple is working right, or is enough fuel being delivered to make the initial burn get up and go... Try another pellet brand, have fault many quad issues and sometimes these weird problems are just fuel related.....

I agree give it a good cleaning. Including all of the fines and dust at the bottom of your hopper. If I just pour the pellets straight from the bag into my quad the bottom of the hopper gets filled with dust and debris that the auger won't pick up. This causes me to open my feed gate a little to keep the fire the correct size. If you have had to open yours all the way to keep fires burning it could be the cause. After you clean it don't forget to close it up some so you don't have an overfire situation.

Also check to make sure your ignitor slot at the bottom of burn pot is clear. This has caused a misfire before for me too.

Unplug the stove and remove the control box and then reinsert it. Plug the stove in and combustion blower should run for around 10-12 min hit reset and see if it works properly.

I would do no more and get the dealer involved.

Reactions: Mt Bob
If you used a vacuum to get all of the dust from the bottom of the hopper your auger won't have any pellets in it. Follow the startup procedure in your manual to fill the system. (It involves hitting reset button until pellets drop)

After cleaning everything again and doing a first fire start up sequence everything seems to be working again. The first fire seems to be really large however. I have the feed rod all the way pushed in on the lowest setting and the output on medium.

After cleaning everything again and doing a first fire start up sequence everything seems to be working again. The first fire seems to be really large however. I have the feed rod all the way pushed in on the lowest setting and the output on medium.

Got a picture of the high flame? By any chance did you get the dvd that comes with the stoves? It has a nice video on there of a "good" burn and a "bad" burn. This might be helpful so you know what you are looking for. Also I think quad has the same video on YouTube.

Got a picture of the high flame? By any chance did you get the dvd that comes with the stoves? It has a nice video on there of a "good" burn and a "bad" burn. This might be helpful so you know what you are looking for. Also I think quad has the same video on YouTube.

It definitely didn’t seem to get this high when it was installed. Doesn’t get to much bigger than this. After the first fire it seems to be fine. Maybe I’m just being jittery about the first fire.

Attachments

• B4FEE3A0-75A7-4909-AC2B-3D18D410C31E.jpeg
    B4FEE3A0-75A7-4909-AC2B-3D18D410C31E.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 98
thats a big flame. are the pellets your burning on the small side around a half inch long or less? did you clean out the trap door on the rt side? ash pan tightly sealed? the trap door shut above the ash pan?

thats a big flame. are the pellets your burning on the small side around a half inch long or less? did you clean out the trap door on the rt side? ash pan tightly sealed? the trap door shut above the ash pan?
I’m using Lingnetics Premium Hardwood. I’m not sure what you mean about the ash pan being tightly sealed. It just sits below the fire pot. I’m also not sure if your referring to the fire pot release/handle to clean as the trap door?

Sorry sawbeans the insert does not look to have the lower trap door or a latched sealed ashpan as the free standing does. I don’t have linetics in my area so I don’t have a clue how big or long they are made. You tend to get more pellets per rotation with shorter pellets vs longer ones. It may just be pellet brand and you can adjust your hopper feed lever to not allow so much in at a time. Close in small increments 1/4” at a time.

Sorry sawbeans the insert does not look to have the lower trap door or a latched sealed ashpan as the free standing does. I don’t have linetics in my area so I don’t have a clue how big or long they are made. You tend to get more pellets per rotation with shorter pellets vs longer ones. It may just be pellet brand and you can adjust your hopper feed lever to not allow so much in at a time. Close in small increments 1/4” at a time.
Typically they are at or longer than half an inch. The hopper feed rate is set as low as possible. It seems like it’s just dropping a lot of pellets on start up and the fire isn’t starting for about 3 minutes.

A little update after the dealer came today. The stove fired up like normal after I hadn’t run it due to the big start up flame. They replaced a snap disk and ran it for a while and said everything looked good. About two hours after they left I realized that the stove had been runjingbthe whole time and that it wasn’t shutting off after meeting temperature. Called the dealer back who called Quad tech support who suggested a bad thermostat or thermostat wire. Replaced the wire and it seemed to be running good however I noticed it does a start up sequence while it’s still at temp.

I’m thinking the thermostat (that came from quad) doesn’t have a large enough swing. The unit is set up in my basement and it’s been relatively cold here in Central VA. Because of this I think as soon as the thermostat hits temp and shuts down the unit it’s also dropping temp quick enough to start up again.

The dealer has another thermostat for me since they have apparently been having issues with the one quad has been supplying recently.

The Quadrafire "smartstat" remote has a 4 degree swing to startup. Not sure about which on you are using but my remote died and although they replaced it under warranty I put in a different thermostat. When mine died it would not start if it was below startup temp and sometimes the base unit box would just keep beeping like when it turns on the stove (but it only beeps once when it turns it on.) I could still start it manually (by moving the remote's base unit switch to "on") but it would keep burning if put back onto remote mode.

Now my thermostat has a max 3 degree swing to come back on and that works fine for me. Not sure what other thermostat the dealer has but hopefully it isn't the one I had.