new Quadrafire 3100i ACT, but what's with the crack issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoDogNight

Oct 13, 2014
Massachusetts
related to this post, I am considering buying a floor model leftover 3100i ACT to replace my 1992 3100i, but this post AND the fact that my friend's 3100i has a crack in it (pic below) make me question (more like run away fast) that decision?

What is the retrofit like? Should I have it installed before I buy the stove if I wanted to go with the quad? How widespread is this problem...I have LOVED my Quad...and it's the easy choice to replace with another...but....

If anyone wants to comment on the other thread about how an Enviro 1200 series insert would compare to a Quad 3100i, I'm all ears!

Attachments

• quad_crack.jpg
    quad_crack.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 900
I have an older Quad 4300 millinium and it too has the crack in the exact same spot as yours. I believe ALL the stoves with that design crack. I was told by the dealer it was a common problem which they recommended using a type of refractory cement to patch the crack. Supposedly that's what the manufacturer recommended as a fix. Mine was patched but since then has had the cement break off. It doesn't seem to effect performance at all and I recently bought a newer quad 4300 step top. The design is different on the newer one with the rear air holes being lower so hopefully no issues like the earlier models. If you liked the older one I would say they have changed the design so give a new one a shot.

Thanks for the reply Matt...I haven't seen the new design...two dealers didn't have any 3100i's in stock to look at. I quickly looked at the manual and saw that it's vastly different than the ACT and what I have with a separate convection shell? The two dealers I spoke to were unaware of any crack issues in that spot, and also didn't know about the SRV436-540 part to fix it. :-( We run our current quad without fans...it works without even though it's an insert which is why picking up a leftover ACT (no fans) versus newer ACC (fans are standard?) appealed to me. My firebox is the issue...a Regency I2400 _might_ barely fit, a PE Alderlea T5 won't, a PE Super won't, and an Enviro 1700 won't! :-(

@BBart...thanks for this info. Interesting, so they just covered up the extra set of secondary holes in the manifold with a gasket and (SS?)cover. This generation of quad had 4 secondary tubes + the secondary holes in the manifold, mine just has 3 secondary tubes and no holes in the secondary manifold. Seems like if I did want to buy the ACT floor unit, I should get the retrofit kit and install it before the stove is even fired.

the ones i have installed had cutouts for those holes.

I am driving myself insane over this...hashing and rehashing...and time is not on my side...we have enjoyed wood heat since 1991 and winter is coming...

Here are my latest thoughts:
The ACT isn't the prettiest stove, but it's really tempting to buy another one...I haven't seen the ACC version, but I employ a KISS principle for things like this, so I'm not particularly excited about it.

I wanted a PE Super, it was too wide at the depth and that wasn't counting the leveling bolts. The Regency I2400 on paper won't fit, but I measured one on a showroom floor...and it looks like it would JUST squeeze in...i'm not ultra comfortable about it though...what if I'm wrong....and that leads me to the next part...

I _LIKED_ running the old quad without fans, after a day at work...quiet with secondaries is nice...it DID provide heat without fans...oh...and if I'm not going to get a freestanding stove, then no fans is another part of KISS for me. The ceiling fan is a better fan than ANY fan in a stove for reliability and quiet. Did I mention I have two golden retrievers...they shed...how often would I be cleaning the fans that are sitting on a hearth with NO height? :)

So all this would naturally lead me to just buying the leftover 3100i ACT...maybe I could even score a good deal on it...BUT...the cracks.

So, what would you do!?!?, throw caution to the wind and just go with a Quad and then deal with warranty if (when) it cracks? Suck it up and put an Enviro Venice 1200 in (1.85 cu ft EW only box versus 1.9 for Quad...and maybe load it every 30 minutes sooner than we did with the Quad)? Measure again and buy the Regency or Clyde (pushing the budget here) and clean the fans every few weeks? Finding a time machine and going back to 1997 to have the mason build a different firebox/hearth isn't an option.

If/When the Quad cracks...assuming the "real" stainless plate repair, would it be reliable for years to come after the repair?

Details:
36" width at opening, 19 5/8" width at back, 20 1/2" depth to back wall middle, 4" straight back depth before sides angle, 19" depth to back wall measured from top, 15" back wall height before taper, 26 1/4" height at opening, 0" height of hearth extension, 20" depth of hearth, and 26' or so of chimney.

This years wood stacked since last March...bought it semi-seasoned, General moisture meter reads 17-21% on the few fresh splits I made. I did a split on each of the splits before I stacked it...because I wanted to make sure it was going to be ready.

pics...floor plan, goldens love wood fires, thermometer sitting on open part of stairs going upstairs behind couch (cool air from upstairs would be flowing into room, but 21 out and 77 at that spot...3100i...no fans...and it's probably a weeknight, so the quad ran the house up from 66 at 5pm when we got home to loafing along at 77 3 hours later).

HELP!

Attachments

• 20131124_133044-2.jpg
    20131124_133044-2.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 295
  • 20141015_194741.jpg
    20141015_194741.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 321
  • 156662_1496176604160_3023400_n.jpg
    156662_1496176604160_3023400_n.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 288
Status