Quadrafire 7100 Secondary Manifold Defect *Fixed*

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

Hearth Supporter
Alright for those of you that followed the original thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/20294/. I couldn't figure out how to update the title so I decided to create a new one thread.

Today the Quad rep who traveled in from Washington showed up with 2 techs from Woodheat (my dealer). They fixed my buddies unit first and then fixed mine. Total time was about 1.75 hours and that included fixing my snap disc fan. I wasn't home but they told my wife that they insulated behind it and welded it together to form fit to the old one. If there are any Quad dealers that have the exact steps please post them. All in all they were extremely neat, no dust or issues with the fix and as noted above they fixed the fan which is probably past the warranty.

Important Note: They did say that the reason that this is happening is that when the fireplace is cleaned and when everything is put back together the insulation blanket is not positioned properly. It needs to touch the back of the unit, not just the foam board but the blanket itself.

They had at least one more to fix today as they were headed to another house after us.

So what do you think is it going to hold up?

Attachments

• DSCN0352.JPG
    DSCN0352.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 831
  • DSCN0351-1.JPG
    DSCN0351-1.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 825
OK then thanks for the heads up on the insulation blanket touching the back or the unit. Did they say anything about what continued burning with those bulges could lead to?

Time will be the true test. Hope all that new stuff is stainless at least. Will make it easier if it needs to come back off.

That seems like pretty impressive service. Quad should send out a service bulletin to all registered customers and dealers about the insulation blanket.

Exact steps... Well I have done one of these kits.

First you take your big giant gasket and cut it to fit inside the stainless steel channel that goes over the back manifold.
Then you go to put it on only to find out it wont fit because everything is warped.
Then you use a MAPP gas torch and heat up the bumpy spots and proceed to smash them with a big hammer to get it back into shape.
Then you beat the stainless piece on with a big hammer as far as it will go.
Drill out holes in the back tube through the pre-drilled holes in the stainless.
Tap threads using the provided hex head thread tapper
Put in SS screws and crank down very tright
Paint the whole thing black.

When I first saw the pics I thought it was the one I did, looks IDENTICLE. I can't see how this would not hold up, it is very thick stainless steel OVER the original steel. I cannot see how it took them almost 2 hours. I did it in prob 30-45 mins, chatted with the customer a lot, checked out his fans snap disc and timer, was prob out of there in a little over 1.5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.