New Quadrafire CS 1200 Owner Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokie

Oct 8, 2008
MI
Hello: Are there any other CS owners out there. I am burning my new CS which was installed a few months ago and have run 8 bags or so thru he unit. The question I have, when it runs on low heat, the convection fan runs on low also. The brochure says I will burn about 1.4 pounds an hour on this setting. If I go to medium, when the convecton fan kicks in, it seems to put out more heat. The factory setting on the feed auger is set in the middle. I like the low setting as far as pellet usage, but want the extra fan output that you get on the medium setting. So I tried to run it on medium where the brochure says I should use around 2.4 pounds an hour and decreased the feed rate about one mark, but the fire would eventually go out at that setting. I was hoping to burn less pellets on the medium setting and benefit from the higher convection fan speed.

Also is it better to run at a higher setting and let the unit cycle on and off, or run at a lower setting and leave it on longer. I am curious as to what other are doing.

One last question, there is a sliding plate at the bottom of the fire pot which is activated by the pull lever. It pulled so hard I couldnt get it open,a real nuisance. So I put a wrench on the bolt and loosend it a tad and now the slide plate slides very easily. The first time I loosened it a little too much , it seemed like the fit was sloppy and I had some isues with the fire going out on low. I tightened it back up a little and it seals the fire pot better and seems to be working better as there is now air coming in thru the holes and not around the plate.

Seems to be running pretty good but am still learning what is the best way to run it on which settings. Any imput would be appreciate. We are retired so I am home most of the time and the unit has a thermostate mounted in the large room its operating in.

Thanks in advance
Smokie

I have a mt vernon quadfire I usually run it on the third setting when I fire it up once the house heats up to 70 I turn it down to the lowest setting.I usually keep the thermometer set on 75 to get the second level to 68 its a split level house.while sleeping I leave it on all night. The stove is usually off all day until kids get home from school at 4.30 they switch it on and it will stay lit till I leave for work at 8 am I usually go thro 1 bag for this period

Thanks for the info, we have a tri level as well with the stove in the lower level family room with a staircase running up to the living room and kitchen area. I will try running it on high and then kicking it down to the lowest setting and see how that works. So far it hasnt been real cold here, maybe in the low 30s at night with a high around 50 during the day. So far I have been running it on the low setting and letting it cycle. There is about the same temperature differential between levels that you mentioned. I am using around a bag a day as well.

We started with 3.6 tons, hope it lasts thru the winter. I suspect when it gets in the low teens it will use a couple of bags a day on the high setting.

Anyhow thanks for the reply and happy burning to you

You want yer cake and be able to eat it :) Low is low and med is med. By reducing the shutter your starving the fire on low. put it back where it was and let it go. Also by backing of the bolt on the dump dr you did the right thing, just dont go too far. be sure to keep the plate clean inside the pot or it will bind up.
1200 is a good stv- basic 4 door chevy- always starts will always get you where your going enjoy the unit- don't tinker with it too much

Thanks for your reply H.Iron, I like to tinker a little around the edges and see if I can squeeze some more efficiency out of the unit. Thats good to know that its a reliable stove, nothing worse than to have a stove that doesnt start on a cold morning in the snow belt.

So far it hasnt disappointed me, with propane prices around 2.90 a gallon in my area it seems like a good option.

Smokie

I run mine on medium all the time, it starts and stops on the thermostat.

Last year I bought 2 tons but that did not get me through the winter so as I was getting low anytime I was near home depot I would buy 5 or 6 bags.This year I had 3 tons delivered I think it should get me through the winter I live in lower bucks co Pa not as harsh as new england or Maine.With regard to your split I put the stove downstairs in the family room on the slab go up 3 steps to lr kit din room ,bedrooms over fam room.I am finding to get the dinning room/kit to 68 I have to get the downstairs to approx 75 but it has not really got cold yet.Last year I had just 1 tank of oil delivered only used 89 gals when I topped up this year.I found if you have cold spots in the house to put on the oil heat for 20-25 mins it will not burn much oil because you are not bringing the house up from 30 degrees but from 68 degrees.I also converted my hot water back to a reg 40 gallon elec tank so I will not need oil to heat hot water. Figure with oil I used to burn 6-9 gals per day when it was cold when it was over $4 a gallon it was no longer an option its what the economist call clasic demand destruction.Well best of luck with your new purchase.

slls said:

Thanks for your reply, I suspect in a few weeks I will be kicking mine up and wont be able to sneak by on low

Your welcome, no you will not be running it on low once it get cold if you do your room with the stove will be warm but the rest of the house will be cold. I try to use a fan blowing the cold air into the warm room it seems to help to move the heat. My belief is the great savings you get from a stove is you are only heating the room where the stove is plus any rooms the heat will travel to so you are not going to get that even heat of central heat but for $900 for the winter I am glad I am not dependant on oil anymore. I tried putting vents in the coat closet as you come in the door but this was a waste of time no real heat coming thro vents to liv room.This will be my second year with the stove and I'm sure I will find other little variables that will help move the heat around the house any way best of luck with your stove.

yardleypa said:
Your welcome, no you will not be running it on low once it get cold if you do your room with the stove will be warm but the rest of the house will be cold. I try to use a fan blowing the cold air into the warm room it seems to help to move the heat. My belief is the great savings you get from a stove is you are only heating the room where the stove is plus any rooms the heat will travel to so you are not going to get that even heat of central heat but for $900 for the winter I am glad I am not dependant on oil anymore. I tried putting vents in the coat closet as you come in the door but this was a waste of time no real heat coming thro vents to liv room.This will be my second year with the stove and I'm sure I will find other little variables that will help move the heat around the house any way best of luck with your stove.

Before I bought the pellet stove, we had an Osborne 1987 model wood stove. It was a pre EPA, so we had the pad and a non comubstable wall, so we put the stove where the old wood stove stood. Our DEQ had a program where you could trade in your old stove and get a rebate from the State. That rebate coupled with a discount from the manufacturer and one from the dealer saved me about 600 bucks for the purchase. We have a paddle fan in place which I flip on and it seems to help push the warm air upstairs.

I still have my dryer and hot water heat on propane and its probably cheaper to convert back to electric appliances but will monitor gas prices or if either appliance goes on the blink, they will be replaced with something else when its time.

Smokie

smokie said:
slls said:

Thanks for your reply, I suspect in a few weeks I will be kicking mine up and wont be able to sneak by on low

The reason I run it on medium is because it is more efficient at that setting. With a thermostat there is no need to use low during warmer weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.