New Quadrafire II Owner w Some Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmstovall

Oct 23, 2023
Silver Spring, MD
FYI, this is cross posted at . I found this forum after doing some searching, and wanted to be transparent in case ya'll also visit Reddit.

Good morning, we _just_ had a Quadrafire Expedition II installed.

I tried getting it going last night but wasn't successful. This stove is obviously dramatically more advanced than what I'm used to using, which are 20-30 year old units with a manual damper, air control and ash tray. The QF looks way easier to use...if I can figure it out.

Last night, I:
-put a bunch of newspaper in
- put a couple pieces of kindling on top and just one log
- pulled the ACC out and pushed it back in (and then clicking started)
- didn't do anything with the blower (besides plug it in), and it never started up

The newspaper burned and the kindling burned a little bit. I did that all 2-3x, with the same results. Tons of smoke but no "real" fire. So my questions:
- I suspect my main problem last night was just getting the dead cold flue warm enough to draft.
- Am I using the ACC correctly? It's an odd motion to pull out and push back in, and it feels like there's a side-to-side aspect to it as well?
- What's the clicking sound? A timer? How's that thing work? The blower didn't come on, which makes me think it's more than just a dumb mechanical setup in there--is it using any sensors to look for a certain heat level?
- Should I be adjusting something else?

This is partly, "tell me what I'm doing wrong" so I can get it fired up and partly, "how the hell does thing work" so I can better troubleshoot myself. I understand the basics of how the older units work and I never have trouble getting them going, even super cold and with minimal kindling, but the QF appears to be more of a different beast than I anticipated.

Any help is, as always, appreciated. Thank you much!

Does the insert have at least 15-16' of 6" liner attached? Try opening a nearby window 1" to see if that helps.
How dry is the kindling and firewood?
The ACC is a mechanical timer
The blower has a thermostatic snap switch that should turn on the blower once the firebox is fully warmed up.