New roof giving the ac a break!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rusty18

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2018
Belpre oh
So, we replaced our single layer shingle roof/felt paper/ 1/2” plywood. Tore off the shingles and felt paper, put down strips, solex underlament, and new metal (brown to match the house and barn).
I am happy to report our attic is staying much cooler. It’s still lacking on the soffit vents but the new roof made more of an improvement than anyone was expecting. 90F outside today with full sun from 6 am to 6 pm (trees shade the house late evening)and the hottest it showed was 101F in the attic.
Our ac ran intermittently today, previously the attic would have been closer to 120F and our ac would have just turned on about 10 am and stayed there till dark.
It will be interesting to compare electric usage this summer to last.

the shingles were well passed their life expectancy ( they were the second set in 50 years) so we didn’t send good roofing to the dump for the sake of switching to metal.

Reactions: sloeffle
I need a new roof for mine is outdated and it has not leaked yet for I walk up to the attic and check but wow they are so very expensive and to repair them is expensive as well (metal roof I believe you are talking about here) and nice to have some information on this type of roof. I also like those tile ones but someone told me that they crack and bee's or wasps or whatever gets in them and I was just wondering about these types as well.. But roofing is so darn expensive and I will have to put this idea off for now but glad for you and especially since it is making a difference and I bet your electric bill will be lower as well. For now if mine leaks I will just patch it...clancey

Which solex underlayment did you use?

solexLT 1/8” reflective or foil, I don’t know what the difference is but I would call it the reflective if I had to guess. 4’x250’ rolls for easy of installation (and that’s what the local shop carries). You can see it out beside the tin in the pic.

Attachments

• 632A0944-806F-4033-AFD4-508CA21797B0.jpeg
    632A0944-806F-4033-AFD4-508CA21797B0.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: Lmn1966
23A67D5B-BA38-4D60-8F93-91D9B1FDD6BD.jpeg
Blew 17 bags of attic cat in last week. The roof on the house will hold the morning frost longer than the roof on the barn! ;)

We kept the house about 8 degrees colder than we did last summer and the electric usage was still down. Now that’s it’s heating season the nights are around 30 and the heat pump is keeping up with ease. I figure the insulation will pay for itself this winter.

Reactions: stoveliker
Insulation always seems to pay for itself. At the very least, in added comfort. Supposedly there is a point where it doesn't, but I have yet to find it.