New shelburne getting black on glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mazza1414

Nov 18, 2022
Upstate NY
Just had my new shelburne installed and have been using after about 5-6 break in fires. Still working out kinks, but almost every fire is producing black film on glass.

My wood that I’m using is all below 20% moisture and hardwood. Any thoughts to what it might be?

Is that moisture content measured on a piece that was acclimated in the home for 24 hrs, then resplit, and then measured on the freshly exposed surface (so you measure the inside of the split)?

When the fire is hot enough, the black will burn off. Cat stoves often run at cooler temps and have blackened glass from time to time. How hot have you run the stove?