New splitting maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
I broke the handle on my 4 lb axe, so went back to my 8 lb maul for everything- production came to a grinding halt.. see funny story post in hearth room .. I got the 4 lb splitting maul made by Tru-Temper(red fiberglass handle)..

Anyone ever use one of these?

I will be swinging it this afternoon.

that's the maul that I have, and frankly it's the only one I've ever used being a newbie. I have been very satisfied and never thought "gee, I wish I had a bigger maul." However, I do have to occasionally pull out my hand sledge and wedge but that's typically on the big 12" + rounds or on the apple that I had - even then I always start with the maul and a decent percentage of the time it does the trick. But from hearing people's experiences, that's common regardless of the maul. The 4#er never gets heavy and it makes it an aerobic work out opposed to a muscle work out!

Status
Not open for further replies.