New splitting tool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
I was recently at the local Home Depot. I saw and purchased a splitting tool that looks alot like an axe but, has small wedge like flanges on both sides. In a weak moment I bought one (35 dollars). I gotta tell you all.....this thing is great. It will bust through knotty oak rounds like no tomorrow. Better than a maul and easier to use. The only draw back is that when it goes thru the split wood it throws the pieces a couple of feet. Anyone who splits by hand should consider buying one.
Mike

I don"t know the name but, it was in the rack at Home Depot with the axes and splitting mauls. With the splitter and a hookaroon it sure makes splitting by hand easy.
Mike

Probably a more appropriate thread for the Gear Forum, but it sounds like someone's copying the Fiskars design. I have a number of Fiskars tools, and all my old axes, maul, sledges and wedges have been relegated to the back room storage rack. Of course, I'm a softwood burner, so I don't face the splitting challenge of others, but they really are beautiful tools. Just google Fiskars, or go to Amazon.com & do a search...they're not hard to find. Rick

I also have a Fiskars Splitting Axe. I use it more than my 8# maul, but sometimes, I need that extra power the maul can deliver. I think the Fiskars is a wonderful tool. It requires a different kind of technique than the maul but I find that I can swing the Fiskars for longer between breathers. It is a great tool.

Rick, how do you sharpen your Fiskars?

I know they sell a special sharpener but I was just curious if there was another way.

Hunter

Hunter819 said:
...Rick, how do you sharpen your Fiskars? I know they sell a special sharpener but I was just curious if there was another way. Hunter

I have one of their little sharpeners, it came with one of my axes. Nothing really special, two small wheels on separate spindles at some magic angle...just like a typical knife/scissors sharpener. Plastic housing. Roll the axe edge back & forth a dozen or so times, and it freshens up the edge. I'm careful with the tools...using them, storing them, and sharpening them...moreso than the way I've historically treated my axes. I got one teeny nick in one of them, and I used a fine flat file on it with a real light touch, then dressid it up with a whetstone...good as new. I won't even walk past my bench grinder with a Fiskars tool in my hand. :lol: Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.