New Stihl Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'd go with the 261, I think you'll really notice that 3.3 lb difference.

I run a 550XP mkII which is Husqvarna's equivalent of the 261, I've got a 20" bar and 0.325 pitch chain. Works good for what I need it for. But it does have to work if the bar is buried.

Not sure if US dealers are the same, but the 261 is on sale in Canada right now for $50 less than the 391.
I like my little 550xp. Still not sold on the auto yet. I think stihl mtronic are a little better in my opinion. But I like the 550 better than the stihl. Its light and slim. Easy to throw around. I run a 18" tsumara bar and 3/8" chain. Its cuts great.

+ 1 for 261 CM
Kind of apples and oranges comparison (Pro v farm). Also, I wouldn't consider the 261 as entry level pro saw, just smaller.
I agree with those recommending going with a saw you'll be using for 80% of your typical cutting.
Do you really need a 20" bar ? If so (you regularly cut big wood for firewood), consider bumping up to 60 cc pro saw.​
If not, go with shortest bar you'll regularly need. The 261 w/ 16" bar screams, w/ 18" is good, w/ 20" probably OK.​
The 261 has a very good power : weight ratio. It's 1.3 kg lighter, but with .3 less kW. It's a great firewood saw. If you buy only one saw, you won't be displeased. Ergonomically it's a pleasure to use and move around with. If I'm using a saw a lot, I'd go with the more comfortable saw, the 261 CM (but I wouldn't go with a 20" as main bar).
Also as ABMax24 just stated Husky makes a great 50 cc saw (550XP).

I'd go with the 261, I think you'll really notice that 3.3 lb difference.
MS210, 9.7lb, 2.2Hp
MS261, 10.8lb, 4.0Hp
MS391, 13.8lb, 4.4Hp

Ms261, big jump in power over the 210, small change in weight. I have a ms261 pro. Very zippy machine in a small package. I'm ok with a slow down on larger rounds. The other 2/3 is fast and effecient.

If you decide to get a 20" bar for the 261...
Buy a skip tooth chain for it and that will make it a happy saw with the long bar.
325 chain will cut a little easier than 3/8

Good call on the skip link chain. In my babbling I forgot about recommending them.
If you decide to get a 20" bar for the 261...
Buy a skip tooth chain for it and that will make it a happy saw with the long bar.
325 chain will cut a little easier than 3/8
Good call on the skip tooth chain, in my babbling I forgot about those.