New stove advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradleyW

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2014
Northfield, MA
This past summer we purchased an old farmhouse with two woodstoves. The house is a cape. There is a Fisher Mama Bear in the basement and a Quadrafire 3100 on the first floor. The previous owners said they heated mainly with the Mama Bear, and only used the Quadrafire when it was really cold. Being first time wood burners we decided to try that. After a while I realized I was either over firing or smoldering with the Fisher. I just couldn't get it right. I really got the hang of the Quadrafire however and found it much easier to operate. I feared it was too small for our 1800 square feet but it does fine down to about 15 degrees F. I do have to reload overnight, as a burn cycle is 4-5 hours. I have been using the Fisher only on nights in the single digits or below, which has happened unusually often this year in Western Massachusetts.
There is a possibility that we will get a voucher of $750 towards a new EPA stove if we trade in the Fisher. I am wondering what stove would be best, and how our choice might impact our heating strategy. We will probably use about seven cords of wood this year, which seems like a lot. Maybe if we purchase the right stove for the basement we will use less wood. Another option would be to replace the Quadrafire with a larger more efficient stove and not have a stove in the basement at all. So, there are lots of options and I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

The main thing in the basement to consider is not the stove it is the wall and sill insulation. If uninsulated up to a third of the heat (and wood consumed) is going outdoors heating the earth. The second thing to consider is how well the basement heat is migrating upstairs. If this is a 2 story house then the amount of heat that will get from the basement to the second floor is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.