New Stove and Chimney Liner Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnaki

Aug 16, 2016
Northern Michigan
Hi all, New to the forum! I'm retiring my Vermont Castings Encore this year. It's been a good unit but at 22 yrs. old and used 24/7 for the last 12 years, it's time for a new stove. I was considering a Jotul Oslo, but I came across a leftover Quadrafire Isle Royle at a discount and don't feel that I can pass that up. I like the cook top on the Isle Royale as I actually used the cook top quite a bit on the Encore.

Our house is 800 square feet downstairs and 600 square feet upstairs. Both upstairs and down are open areas. While most of the house is well insulated, we've chosen to have a large portion of the living area and the kitchen area roof be plastic roofing to let in light. The ceiling in the downstairs portion of those areas are open to the roof, so we lose a lot of heat in that area. I know it's not the best for heat retention, but it's a very nice way of getting more light in a house when the house sits in the woods. So, that's not going to change. Placement of the stove is centrally located and I've always found it ideal for heating the house. There is open space on all sides of the stoves with no combustibles within 3 feet of the stove. Again, so placement is not a problem.

The stove sits in the middle of the downstairs and heat goes to the upstairs via a stairway to the upstairs. The chimney is a straight run from the stove through a cement block chimney with a square clay liner about 24 feet. Although I've never had any draft problems, I'm considering a liner for the chimney. I'm not sure I need it, but with the changing of the stove, this would be a good time to do it. Because it's a straight run, I think any type liner would do. Of course, I'd like to keep it as inexpensive a possible, but cost would not be the main determining factor.

Any thoughts on the choice of stove, or, especially advice on the chimney liner, would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, although we buy most of our wood presently, I'm fully retired this year and will be cutting a lot of wood from my property. I've cut my own wood in the past but started buying it when I had more money than time. Now that I have more time than money, I'll be cutting a lot more. I'm well equipped with chainsaws and a truck with lots of downed and dying trees on the property every year.

Thanks for any advice.

John

Welcome to the site
For your "inexpensive" liner, probably a "Flex liner" is what most have used. Lots of online companies sell them them with free shipping, so that would be a good starting point. The kits should include the Liner, Top Plate, that holds the liner, Rain Cap and Tee Connector.
Liners usually are sold in 15', 20', 25'....make sure of the flue opening in your chimney, and if the clay tiles protrude up is helpful when selecting the top plate. If your new stove has a 6" outlet then you'll need the 6" liner kit.

Isle Royale all the way.

I am putting in a Flex King HD liner this weekend. I have been running a 3' piece up and down the chimney to make sure clearances are good before I install the entire liner and have been VERY impressed with the toughness of this liner. I honestly believe I could stand on it without it bending. It is very flexible and was priced right. I have no experience with other liners, so I cannot speak for them. However, the Flex King HD is as tough as nails. All the other hardware is also well constructed, but that's probably the case with most brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.