New Stove! First Stove! And it's outside :-)!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree via the drawings I’ve looked at just like you posted. But there’s gotta be some other info. for an oddball install like this. It’s so far below that roof it doesn’t make sense.

I have a guy coming out Tuesday who is licensed and insured to take a look and he thinks it’d be to code.

This will all be Class A pipe too.

Just looking for feedback though of course!

I surmise the reasons for this code are twofold.
1. to don't have draft issues (wind curling down from a ridge into the pipe, pushing CO and what not into a room) - not an issue here.
2. to avoid sparks (or other too hot stuff) flying out of the pipe and hitting the fuel on your roof that we call shingles.
That would still be an issue, especially if the wind comes in from the left in your pics. That may not happen often, but you can't really stop the fire easily either if winds change (thunderstorms in GA tend to do that...)

Rather than having "a guy" (professional or not) come out, I suggest having your insurance company say they'll honor the policy in the off chance your home burns down..?

I surmise the reasons for this code are twofold.
1. to don't have draft issues (wind curling down from a ridge into the pipe, pushing CO and what not into a room) - not an issue here.
2. to avoid sparks (or other too hot stuff) flying out of the pipe and hitting the fuel on your roof that we call shingles.
I agree. I may be wrong but would'nt this setup be similar to passing thru the wall? ( aside from be farther away from the wall) In which case it would normally extend above the roof.

Here’s my thoughts on this though, and again I’d need to have the chimney company tell me their thoughts and maybe even my insurance company check it out.

But one, to your point above about the same as coming out of a wall like normal just further from the roof: This is a rarity of a setup. A stove pipe doesn’t typically come through and up a wall that doesn’t have a roof over it lol.

To the other point above and to extend on my previous paragraph, the stove pipe termination point would actually be further away from any shingles vs if it ran up the actual brick wall and followed the termination 3-2-1 rule above the roof if you think about it.

If following 3-2-1 and terminating above roof line, an ash could come out and get blown down 2.5 feet and 1 foot over and hit the roof. If I put it here, its closest point to a shingle would be if it were blown 6 feet over and 6 feet up! Would also be 5-6 feet above any wood in the deck.

Thoughts?

Here’s my thoughts on this though, and again I’d need to have the chimney company tell me their thoughts and maybe even my insurance company check it out.

But one, to your point above about the same as coming out of a wall like normal just further from the roof: This is a rarity of a setup. A stove pipe doesn’t typically come through and up a wall that doesn’t have a roof over it lol.

To the other point above and to extend on my previous paragraph, the stove pipe termination point would actually be further away from any shingles vs if it ran up the actual brick wall and followed the termination 3-2-1 rule above the roof if you think about it.

If following 3-2-1 and terminating above roof line, an ash could come out and get blown down 2.5 feet and 1 foot over and hit the roof. If I put it here, its closest point to a shingle would be if it were blown 6 feet over and 6 feet up! Would also be 5-6 feet above any wood in the deck.

Thoughts?
It's a chimney for a solid fuel appliance no matter where that appliance is it needs to be 2' above anything within 10' to meet code

at least this old house would take a season to finish the work .now all these new shows do it in an hour, keep trying to explain it takes an hour just to get tools ready.;lol;lol;lol;lol:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Kustrud
I’ll keep the thread going. Going to start the wall Sunday and hopefully come up with a final game plan.

Where in the world can I have one of these?? They obviously exist, but are rare....
1709756906804.png

Still debating, making progress on the wall though!

May go with a Wood Pellet Products gravity fed stove and run it through the wall. Class A pipe from stove. Only requires 3 feet at termination from combustibles and very little height (6 feet) for draft. I could then use one of those angled thimbles and run it straight out of the wall at an angle and terminate 3 feet away from the deck. No chimney to see anywhere, in spec per the manufacturer, and the fire ambiance plus the heat. I’ve used one in person and they throw a huge fire in them and really pump out the heat.

IMG_0795.jpeg IMG_0825.jpeg

Where? Can’t find it! What’s it called?
Last I looked it was in the ventis catalog. No idea what it's called never ordered one or had any reason to

Ventis makes one. Why would you need one?
I have seen them permitted in Canada where they have a 45º chimney elbow, but not in the US.

Any idea what the 24" tall stack is off the flue collar on that stove?

Ok, just hit me! I got the final plan to use the actual wood stove! I’m not using this to heat a house. More so ambiance and a fire to stand by outside.

Therefore, i can see it up differently! I’m going to use it like a vented chiminea!

Remove the glass, remove the baffle board, and the upper baffle.

Then, double wall stove pipe to pipe adapter, to Class A pipe through wall and terminate 3-4 feet away from the wall (pointing directly away from wall). This is more of a fire-pit setup but with the door essentially off (removing glass and leaving door on for finished look) and the upper baffles removed I’m hoping it would still draft like heck after a short vertical run before going through wall.

This would be much safer than any fire pit or chiminea on or near a deck!

Going to set the stove up this way tomorrow and give it a test run to see if it drafts and works well. If it works, I’m ordering the stuff!!

Ok, just hit me! I got the final plan to use the actual wood stove! I’m not using this to heat a house. More so ambiance and a fire to stand by outside.

Therefore, i can see it up differently! I’m going to use it like a vented chiminea!

Remove the glass, remove the baffle board, and the upper baffle.

Then, double wall stove pipe to pipe adapter, to Class A pipe through wall and terminate 3-4 feet away from the wall (pointing directly away from wall). This is more of a fire-pit setup but with the door essentially off (removing glass and leaving door on for finished look) and the upper baffles removed I’m hoping it would still draft like heck after a short vertical run before going through wall.

This would be much safer than any fire pit or chiminea on or near a deck!

Going to set the stove up this way tomorrow and give it a test run to see if it drafts and works well. If it works, I’m ordering the stuff!!
No. Just no

Care to expand? For what I want to use this stove for, I can’t see a downside to this plan.

Help me out here. What am I missing?
I'm sorry but I'm done

Reactions: Kustrud
Can we have your address, to look up the state fire marshals report...?

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
Lol! How is that any less safe than a chiminea? Or a fire pit on a deck?

I’m just not seeing it…..talk me out of it then if it’s a terrible idea.

It’s basically a metal chiminea vented outside with non-combustible walls on either side.

If there wasn’t photo evidence I feel most would think you’re just messing with us 😂

Can’t have the heat and smoke right under and inside the patio. This gives me a way to pipe it to the outside without a 20 ft tall pipe sticking off our deck.

I’ll draw a picture up and y’all give me your thoughts. We can figure this out!

I personally thought you were on the right track when you most recently were talking of putting up a proper chimney...I get trying to save a buck and do it the easiest way, I can be as cheap as anybody, but not when it comes to burning my home down!

Status
Not open for further replies.