New Stove - Heat Distribution Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

goosebahr

Mar 14, 2022
Lawrence, KS
We got a new Supreme Novo 18 that we are really enjoying. As we get closer to winter I'm looking for advice on how best to distribute the heat through our home. The stove sits on one side of our Ranch home and our bedrooms and wife's office (marked studio in the attached picture) sit on the other side of the house. I currently have a box fan in the hallway blowing toward the stove which seems to work okay.

Considering a smart thermostat with multiple temperature sensors to turn on the furnace when Momma gets cold working in her office.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG-6500.jpg House Heat Distribution.jpg

Is there a basement where an insulated duct could replace the box fan? Is the Studio the room needing heat?

Do you use the ceiling fans? That's all we use and it distributes the heat nicely in our single story home.

Reactions: goosebahr
Use your ceiling fan in blow up mode, winter direction. Turn your furnace fan on just to circulate air, not heating. You should get relatively even temps. Of course it will be warmer in the room with the stove.

What is that stove resting on? That is a very unique setup.

The stove itself is in a bad location. I should be in the center of the house across from the kitchen.

If you want to move the warm air to the other side of the house you can run flex duct in the attic on a duct booster fan. put the hot air intake in the ceiling of the stove room and put the vent in the end of the hall or in the office/bedrooms. Install a will.switch to turn it on and off.

Reactions: Winterpeger
I have a similar 'stove in one end / bedrooms in the other' situation, I can only tell you what I do.

First, I have a decent blower on my stove, so I can get a lot of heat out. With the blower off, it is a decent one-room radiant heater. With the blower, it is a whole-house convection furnace. When I did a light remodel years ago, I worked to open up the 'ceiling plan' - meaning a lot of doorways / passthrough's were opened up and headers were removed (where structurally feasible). The main idea is to allow a 'river' of warm air to flow out over the ceiling without having to bob up and down through standard doorways. This is pretty effective at getting heat to the back rooms.

I also work to keep the floor plan fairly open, not have a lot of large furniture breaking up the air flow, etc - so the cool air can return to the stove room. If I do need a slight boost for the very coldest winter days, I use a small 6" fan right at the floor - the idea is to get a smooth sheet of air moving along the floor surface back toward the stove room. I used to run a similar small fan at one particular choke point on the ceiling - I think it was even more effective and if I did catch any draft from it, it was warm air moving away from the stove instead of a cold blast from a fan on the floor. But over a few years, it left a 'dust mark' on the ceiling.

Either way, my set-up is to get a 'river' of hot air flowing out of the stove room along the ceiling and a 'river' of cool air flowing back along the floor. Sometimes a very small fan aids this flow, but I'm also careful not to do anything to break up the flow. I've tried to run ceiling fans, but they seem to cut off the flow and I'd worry that a big box fan may stir the air up too much and also break up the flow.

I have a similar 'stove in one end / bedrooms in the other' situation, I can only tell you what I do.

First, I have a decent blower on my stove, so I can get a lot of heat out. With the blower off, it is a decent one-room radiant heater. With the blower, it is a whole-house convection furnace. When I did a light remodel years ago, I worked to open up the 'ceiling plan' - meaning a lot of doorways / passthrough's were opened up and headers were removed (where structurally feasible). The main idea is to allow a 'river' of warm air to flow out over the ceiling without having to bob up and down through standard doorways. This is pretty effective at getting heat to the back rooms.

I also work to keep the floor plan fairly open, not have a lot of large furniture breaking up the air flow, etc - so the cool air can return to the stove room. If I do need a slight boost for the very coldest winter days, I use a small 6" fan right at the floor - the idea is to get a smooth sheet of air moving along the floor surface back toward the stove room. I used to run a similar small fan at one particular choke point on the ceiling - I think it was even more effective and if I did catch any draft from it, it was warm air moving away from the stove instead of a cold blast from a fan on the floor. But over a few years, it left a 'dust mark' on the ceiling.

Either way, my set-up is to get a 'river' of hot air flowing out of the stove room along the ceiling and a 'river' of cool air flowing back along the floor. Sometimes a very small fan aids this flow, but I'm also careful not to do anything to break up the flow. I've tried to run ceiling fans, but they seem to cut off the flow and I'd worry that a big box fan may stir the air up too much and also break up the flow.
Thanks Corey, I'll try a little tabletop fan instead of the box fan and see how it goes.

Are you still happy with your Supreme Novo? I'm thinking about buying the Novo 24 for my 1800 square foot home.
Overall were happy with it. It looks great and the fan is pretty quiet and puts off plenty of heat. I wish the lip was a little deeper on the front, ash can fall out when you open the door (may not be a problem with the 24). The activator has been a little disappointing, you push it in to start a fire or add wood, and it's supposed to automatically close off the air vent once the fire has really got going. It barely seems to close off the air and requires more manual adjustment.

Reactions: Gregan