New stove in my future

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Keninmaine

Jan 2, 2023
Coastal Maine
Hey from Maine. Have been reading a bit. This is my setup if the pic takes…
I have option of freestanding or a fireplace insert. That fireplace makes a great wood box, but it would be good to have the floor space back. Supplemental heat when it gets cold, or backup during power outage, followed by generator failure. I like to take the chill off in the morning when it is 15°F. 6” vent restriction. I am using a VC Encore. I do like the top load, and the ash pan. I really like the ash pan 😊. Can’t have everything.

BK Princess freestanding or insert. Seems like a qualifying, easy to run stove. The insert sticks out a bunch, so seems like I am get some heat out of it. Thoughts?

1935B694-B2DA-4CDE-AE8C-22493FF7616F.jpeg

Seem like a good choice. Won't win any beauty contest, but it will provide more reliable and even heat. Check the fit for the insert to be sure it's an option.

Reactions: Keninmaine
They are industrial looking indeed. I am torn between an insert and using my current stack. That fireplace makes a great wood box. But it is a small house, and would be nice to have that floor space back.

I will look at prettier stoves in person I am sure. Encore is a diva. I am ready for non fussy functional. Somewhere on this forum I read a guy went from encore to princess and wouldn’t go back. Got me reading BK specs.

In catalytic inserts, take a look at the Kuma inserts too. Some have adjustable depth so that there is good projection out onto the hearth. Also check out the Lopi Evergreen.

Reactions: Keninmaine