New stove. Possible creosote leaking? Pipes upside down? Single wall pipe.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Northernnys

Dec 14, 2022
Nys
Day 2 of burning and black tar liquid dripping down. I attached a picture. The pipe is single walled. Im assuming we might have two problems? Pipes incorrectly assembled and issued with our burning to create creosote?

749EDD48-0050-49FB-AB6C-147D10239C2D.jpeg

Can't see in your pic but the gozintas face down. In other words the male part of the pipe face towards the stove to prevent creosote or whatever from dripping out. Then there's the question of what's causing the creosote buildup. Usually wet wood and burning cold.

Can't see in your pic but the gozintas face down. In other words the male part of the pipe face towards the stove to prevent creosote or whatever from dripping out. Then there's the question of what's causing the creosote buildup. Usually wet wood and burning cold.

B839E70F-FEE3-4E59-B2C0-DE84112E0FAF.jpeg 24B161A3-59E6-4AD5-AD21-88019F5201D1.jpeg 3158A5A8-E16B-40F7-B188-D0645C320084.jpeg

Here are some better pictures

The crimped end points down, toward the stove. If the wood is not fully seasoned that may be the second issue. What are the flue temperature readings?

Even fully seasoned wood produces tons of water as it burns. It’s part of the combustion reaction. Usually it stays as a vapor as it passes through the flue but during startup of a cold stove there could be condensation that will be sufficient to cause drips on the outside of improperly installed pipe. It will then dry up and no more condensation will form for the rest of the burn. Wet wood and low temperatures could cause constant drippage.

Your pipe looks upside down to me.

Don’t understand how they could specialize in wood stoves and install upside down. Now I worry the rest of the install is messed up

How did they get that pipe in place, is one section telescopic? Some pipes like doublewall have an outer flange that make it look like the female is down.

Don’t understand how they could specialize in wood stoves and install upside down. Now I worry the rest of the install is messed up
There seem to be quite a few "pros" around who have a lot of cons against them. 😏 😒 The guy that installed the stove I sold my BIL supposedly worked at the stove shop previously. From what I saw, I'm guessing he cut their grass. 😆 Unsafe install that I fixed for them..you're not gonna have a hack like that come back.
I would check everything in that install completely, since the pipe is upside down. Take the cover off the ceiling support and make sure they boxed off between the joists and securely fastened the support. The hack I mentioned didn't box it off, and only had one screw holding the ceiling support to a joist. 😯
And check for the insulation clearance of the support, although that's probably OK. Not sure what you need to check above that, and where it exits the roof...?

Last edited:
What stove is this?

Sometimes the installers are contracted crews and not necessarily the stove shop's employees. Show us the rest of the install all the way to the chimney cap to see how it looks.

Have your checked your woods moisture content. Do you have a moisture meter. You should check the wood at room temperature on a freshly split face with the pins going with the grain in the center of the split.. do not just put it in on the out side of the wood or on the end.. thats not accurate.. Sounds like the wood is wet

What is the distance from the outside of the stove pipe to the wall?

What is the distance from the outside of the stove pipe to the wall?
17.5 from center of pipe. They went with clearances marked in summit stove guidelines, not pipe clearances. Any idea how difficult it would be at this point to change pipe to double wall pipe? Would it require redoing chimney? It is double wall above ceiling. We haven’t paid the installers the second part of their deposit and since it also looks like it also doesn’t meet single wall pipe clearance, I’m debating asking them to replace with double wall. If it is a difficult job I am hesitant to ask because I worry about these contractors knowledge of installing. Could also get pipe shields or wallshields right?

As someone said before. Why would you trust a bad installer a second time? Personally I would tell them that they did not install it correctly and you are not going to pay the balance. Then get someone else to come in and take a look to figure out what is needed. Make a list of the necessary repairs as if the original guy might bring you to court so you'll want to be able to list what they did wrong. I'd also post a list of the mistakes on Yelp so maybe someone else does not get burned by these guys.

Good. Things to look at is the penetration through the roof, you want 2" on each side of the pipe to the sheathing, and you'll want to see the insulation shield. You won't be able to see below the shield.

Before it all goes sideways...Are you positive it's single wall pipe? Up through ceiling has to be more than double wall pipe. Do you have a bill with a description of the pipe?

OK, it does list a telescoping pipe, wondered how they got that in if it didn't have one. With your clearances and the length of the pipe I'd say DW would be what you need.

17.5 from center of pipe. They went with clearances marked in summit stove guidelines, not pipe clearances. Any idea how difficult it would be at this point to change pipe to double wall pipe? Would it require redoing chimney? It is double wall above ceiling. We haven’t paid the installers the second part of their deposit and since it also looks like it also doesn’t meet single wall pipe clearance, I’m debating asking them to replace with double wall. If it is a difficult job I am hesitant to ask because I worry about these contractors knowledge of installing. Could also get pipe shields or wallshields right?
The stove pipe clearance requirement trumps the stove manual which in this case is misleading. There is a caveat for that clearance in the Summit manual. Note the asterisk text:
As tested, a pipe shield may be required by local authorities
In the new LE manual they say:
NOTE: local/national codes or regulations may override some guidelines in this manual

I call BS on these statements. The stovepipe requirement supersedes the stove manual requirements and they should know this.

Switching to double-wall is an easy change as long as it is the same brand as the chimney pipe and ceiling support box. For Selkirk that would be their DSP stovepipe.

Another option would be to attach stove pipe shields to the stovepipe.

Last edited:
The stove pipe clearance requirement trumps the stove manual which in this case is misleading. There is a caveat for that clearance in the Summit manual. Note the asterisk text:
As tested, a pipe shield may be required by local authorities
In the new LE manual they say:
NOTE: local/national codes or regulations may override some guidelines in this manual

I call BS on these statements. The stovepipe requirement supersedes the stove manual requirements and they should know this.

Switching to double-wall is an easy change as long as it is the same brand as the chimney pipe and ceiling support box. For Selkirk that would be their DSP stovepipe.

Another option would be to attach stove pipe shields to the stovepipe.
We ended up installing double wall! Feel like I can sleep better. The stove is already too big for our space so the heat we lose from the pipe is no big deal.

Reactions: begreen