New Stove Quote and Thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gsd1309

Dec 31, 2021
US
Been learning a lot here and wanted to get thoughts on my situation. Have a pole barn with a finished area around 1,100 sq ft with 13 ft ceiling. I want a wood stove for several reasons, obviously heat but also want the atmosphere of a fire and I have basically unlimited wood supply on my land. Just clearing trails will keep me in all the wood I need for the occasional weekend use. In Ohio so not too cold but does dip down subzero at times. Probably won’t use the place when it’s that cold.

Dealer suggested Buck 74 stove, and quotes $7,000 to install it and a chimney. Chimney is a complete new install and would be around 18’ tall straight up through ceiling and pole barn roof.

I can’t find too much on Buck stoves despite looking - I take that as likely a good thing as happy people don’t tend to post too much about their working stoves.

2 questions…. Any thoughts on Buck and also the cost quoted?

Just looked up the Buck 74 stove. Average internet price seems to be about $2800 which means the installation is going to be about $4000. My installation (Jan 2021) cost me $3900 with double wall interior pipe (up and through wall) and Ventis Class A (double wall) exterior stainless steel pipe about 24 feet. I did not have the dealer install my stove. I used an independent stove installer.

To me, your quote to go straight up through the roof in a pool barn seems high. You might want to call an independent installer and get a quote, although this time of year getting an appointment might be rough.

016.jpg015.jpg

Last edited:
Just looked up the Buck 74 stove. Average internet price seems to be about $2800 which means the installation is going to be about $4000. My installation (Jan 2021) cost me $3900 with double wall interior pipe (up and through wall) and Ventis Class A (double wall) exterior stainless steel pipe about 24 feet. I did not have the dealer install my stove. I used an independent stove installer.

To me, your quote to go straight up through the roof in a pool barn seems high. You might want to call an independent installer and get a quote, although this time of year getting an appointment might be rough.

Thank you Dan! Great info. I am not in a hurry luckily so likely will be a spring install at earliest. My own research seemed to indicate the $2600-2800 for stove, and about $1,400 for chimney parts. I was thinking $3,000+ for labor was high for what feels like a one day job for maybe a couple guys, although inflation seems to be hitting everywhere. I am checking with a heating/cooling guy I know to see if he does chimneys and will check with some independent installers - that is something I have not looked into.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Thank you Dan! Great info. I am not in a hurry luckily so likely will be a spring install at earliest. My own research seemed to indicate the $2600-2800 for stove, and about $1,400 for chimney parts. I was thinking $3,000+ for labor was high for what feels like a one day job for maybe a couple guys, although inflation seems to be hitting everywhere. I am checking with a heating/cooling guy I know to see if he does chimneys and will check with some independent installers - that is something I have not looked into.
The labor for my installation was $500 for the owner and his adult son. The remaining $3400 was all the parts and piping, but I went with about the top-of-the-line piping.

The labor for my installation was $500 for the owner and his adult son. The remaining $3400 was all the parts and piping, but I went with about the top-of-the-line piping.
$500 for labor would be great - heck $1k and I would've probably said "go". But $3k for labor felt like a "I don't really want this job but if you're crazy enough to pay that much I'll do it" kind of a quote.

Reactions: Dan Freeman