new stove smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

searaysrv

Jan 14, 2007
Hey guys,
I am new to wood burning. Just installed a drolet fireplace insert and full length liner and have afew questions.
1 how long until the paint curing smell goes away?
2 is it normal to get a bit of a smokey smell when opening the door?
3 it seems that the fire tends to smoulder when i close the air inlet too much(wood is well seasoned and dry)it seems that i could use a stronger draft.installed 14' of liner should i try extending the chimney a couple feet?
Thanks for the help, Joe

It does sound like the stove wants better draft. You don't want smoke coming out of the stove when you open the door. Before openng the door, open the air intake all the way and wait about 30 seconds. Then open the door slowly. How did the liner install go? Is it ovalized in any areas? Is this an interior or exterior chimney?

You might want to try splitting the wood you are burning in half and see if it doesn't burn hotter and better. Paint will cure usually after about 4 fires in the stove.

searaysrv said:
Hey guys,
I am new to wood burning. Just installed a drolet fireplace insert and full length liner and have afew questions.
1 how long until the paint curing smell goes away?
2 is it normal to get a bit of a smokey smell when opening the door?
3 it seems that the fire tends to smoulder when i close the air inlet too much(wood is well seasoned and dry)it seems that i could use a stronger draft.installed 14' of liner should i try extending the chimney a couple feet?
Thanks for the help, Joe

My paint cured (smell) after a couple days of up to temp fires.
Smokey smell is normal when opening door, of course you want to try and limit any smoke pouring into room.
14 seems ok, taller might help. are you loading wood on a real good bed of hot coals? Are you letting the wood char good before shutting down the air?

You may get the paint smell again in the future each time you set a new personal high temperature. I've done that once or twice since break in, setting off the smoke detectors despite the lack of visible smoke.

chimney is on the outside and i did have ovalize the liner very slightly. maybe i need to let it get hotter before adjusting the air too much. hopefully that smell will be gone soon (on the 3rd hot fire now)how much should i fill the stove when adding to a nice hot bed of coals?
Thanks Joe

searaysrv said:
chimney is on the outside and i did have ovalize the liner very slightly. maybe i need to let it get hotter before adjusting the air too much. hopefully that smell will be gone soon (on the 3rd hot fire now)how much should i fill the stove when adding to a nice hot bed of coals?
Thanks Joe

Depends on how much heat for how long you want it. For overnight, make sure the bed of caols is a good, then put rounds & larger splits on, let them get charred good and stove to a decent temp, then cut the air down. You should be getting a secondary burn when you cut the air back. For me I am here most days all day, so I put 2 or 3 medium spllits on at a time every couple hours or so, then at late night before settleing down, I load her up with large stuff, let her cook real good for 15-20 mins, then shut the air back. Remember, once up to temp and the air cut down, you won't get a roaring fire so much, more lazy flames usually bluish just dancing round, sometimes on top of the wood also. Real late at night mine will have barely any flames, but the splits will be glowing red, insert still up to 600 temp and pumping out the heat. My point is, massive flames or much flame at all is not the only way to have heat output, less air = less flame. But can still be up to temp and doing its job.
Unlike I did at first, don't just rely on thermometer, but as you get used to it, once in a while just glance at thermometer to see where temp is. I use it to regulate if shes holding steady, lowering or raising quickly, and adjust accordingly. I think if you try getting a hotter coal bed with smaller splits, then putting larger stuff on, and getting that charred good, then shutting air back, you might find that will accomplish what you are seeking. And splits that are massive red coals are not smoldering, not here anyways, they pump the true heat out for me. Good uck, let us know how it goes.

Yeah, I think I just need to learn how to tweak it. Right now there is a nice coal bed and it seems to be working good. I notice tere is a nice secondony burn for a little while after cutting down air, then the flames get small in time. I geuss thats how it is supposed to work. Thanks for the help.

searaysrv said:
Yeah, I think I just need to learn how to tweak it. Right now there is a nice coal bed and it seems to be working good. I notice tere is a nice secondony burn for a little while after cutting down air, then the flames get small in time. I geuss thats how it is supposed to work. Thanks for the help.

Sounds about right to me. If shes keeping temp and pumping out the heat, and for a decent length of time. Your all set. From here out, its just fine tuning & tweaking your burning style/habit.

It took about a week to get rid of the new stove smell.It was well worth it though
John

Ah new car smell, new stove smell, but my favorite is a new woman smell :) Thats the one I am sad to see dispurse.

Hogwildz said:
Ah new car smell, new stove smell, but my favorite is a new woman smell :) Thats the one I am sad to see dispurse.

:snake:

searaysrv said:
Thanks Joe

Outside chimneys can be very cranky for draft until they warm up. Start off with smaller splits and get a hot fire going before adding anything bigger. Then add the larger pieces. What stove make and model?

Try not to damper it down too much and wait until the wood is nicely charred before doing so. Cool chimneys also can get gummed up with creosote quickly.

Hogwildz said:

Whoa! Before you got that latch adjusted some of your early burns cured the paint on the refrigerator in the kitchen.

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

Whoa! Before you got that latch adjusted some of your early burns cured the paint on the refrigerator in the kitchen.
LOL, you got that right!!!!!! And even dried the woodpile out on the side of the garage!

Status
Not open for further replies.