Soot leaking from newly installed chimney pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

theoretically

Jan 10, 2024
Massachusetts, USA
Hi, newbie stove question. I've had an insert in the past, but just had my first stove installed a few days ago in a new house. I've burned two fires in it, both using only newspaper, kiln-dried grocery store wood, and biobricks. The smell of the paint curing was strong, so I kept the windows cracked. The house smelled pretty smoky on top of the chemical smell of the paint during both fires, though at the time I figured it was the effects of the open windows on the draw. But since then there's been a surprisingly strong residual smoky smell and today I realized the smell is coming from a layer of black soot around a couple of joints on the outside of the chimney pipe. I'm wondering if this is a fault in the installation? Is this normal or should I contact the installers to have them seal the gaps?

I'm attaching a couple of pics, though it's hard to show black stuff on a black background, so not sure how helpful they'll be. Thanks for your help - I've read the forum for years and appreciate the knowledge here.

Chimney pipe - 1.jpeg Chimney pipe - 1 (1).jpeg

Reactions: ctreitzell
Do you have a SS chimney liner? Either way it’s likely just debris that’s in the thimble being sucked in occasionally.

Do you have a SS chimney liner? Either way it’s likely just debris that’s in the thimble being sucked in occasionally.
No, there's no SS liner. The existing masonry chimney needed to be extended by about 6' to meet local code, and by the time all the improvement work was done, the mason said it would be fine to use without a SS liner.

Is there a clay liner in the chimney? Do you know what the ID is?
I'm wondering if the draft is weak. Is there any smoke rollout when the stove door is opened?

Is there a clay liner in the chimney? Do you know what the ID is?
I'm wondering if the draft is weak. Is there any smoke rollout when the stove door is opened?
Yes, it's a clay liner. I'm not sure what you mean by ID? (Are there brands of clay liners?)

There was a bit of smoke rollout with the open door and I'm also worried the draft is weak, though again, I've only run the stove with the windows open so far.