New stove tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Congratulations on the new stove. Is this the VG3200-P? If so, it's a 3 cu ft stove. I've been curious about this big beastie. Please keep in touch and let us know how it works for you.

Is the stepped heart surround framing wood or brown tile? It looks sharp, but if wood, my concern is that it doesn't offer the required 16" protection measured from the stove door.
Yes vg3200 p dunno where I got 5 cu ft from sorry. I measured it and it came out to roughly 3.2 cubic ft. It actually seems better built than the 2021 2k sq ft model we had. And yes it is wood surround. Was fine with the smaller stove. I will need to address that for this one.

Reactions: begreen
I had the same too short hearth issue when we got a deeper stove. I had the tile and everything else on hand but didn't want the little toe banger step as it would have protruded into a traffic area. I simply used a piece of "mill finish" galvanized steel to extend the hearth. I got a local sheet metal place to make it and a tidy transition piece too.

We didn't know what colour we wanted it, so we didn't get it powder coated (the local outfit does that too). Good thing, because we like it unfinished.

CEAD3082-1FD2-49D6-ADD4-EA54A647EC0E.jpeg 78A3474F-C07D-4C9A-AD2E-16597014632D.jpeg

it's dirty right now, but it polishes up nice. The tile is pretty funky. Just like my wife..🥰

just an idea for you..

oh, and there's no wood under the little "z" shaped transition metal

Last edited:
Reactions: PAbeech and Diabel
It looks like you will get a chance to load up that big boy and see how it works by the weekend. Maybe start out with a half-full load of 5-8 splits to see how it works and get used to the air control so that by the weekend you can fill it up for the long burn.

Did you bake in the paint outdoors? If not, open up some windows for the first few hot fires. It'll stink a bit until the paint bakes in.

Reactions: PAbeech
i'm sure your first fire is history... but i love to match a classic sound with an incredible fire up....
and i just happen to have one chosen for your next experience...

bear with me, i'm probably a bit older than you with a different taste in music...
but here it goes...

Reactions: PAbeech and Vg3200p
Newbie78 that looks really cool I'll have to show my mrs
It's an idea anyway. It keeps a low profile on the floor.

I just realized I attached my crappy, chicken scratch drawing..I made a better one for the tin man.

@begreen we did the bake ins last night and tonight. Warm enough outside to have windows open to fight the smell. Got stove top over 600 briefly. It seems to be done stinking. Seasonal weather should return later this week so we'll see how this stove really performs soon. @JamesGuido I like classical. Grandma always listened to it when I was a kid

Ok. Did first full load this morning. Loaded up at 6am. By the time I left for work at 830am stove room was at 87f. Come home at 530pm. Outside temp 36f. Stove room at 70f. Probably 20 degrees hotter than what the old stove would have had. So that is good. Got class 2 hearth pad for front floor protection. Will retrim it at somepoint.

Now the bad. The one thing I don't like about this stove is the ash plug. It is in the center of the firebox and in my opinion I wish it didn't have one at all. I must have knocked the ash plug a little loose at some point because I pulled it tonight and the gasket fell off. So I resealed it but want to come up with a more permanent non removable fix. My only other concern is that this stove seems to breathe quite easy. And I'm a little concerned it will get to hot on me once temps drop down to 0 again. It was 40 this morning when I left and my single wall flue thermo was reading 350 with both air levers shut all the way down. Maybe it was leaking around ash plug?
The middle picture is what I had left after a 12hr cycle. So I'm hoping most days I can do a full load every 12hr or so and keep the house above 55 on this schedule
20230104_170710.jpg 20230104_171234.jpg 20230104_171331.jpg 20230104_173314.jpg

Ok. Did first full load this morning. Loaded up at 6am. By the time I left for work at 830am stove room was at 87f. Come home at 530pm. Outside temp 36f. Stove room at 70f. Probably 20 degrees hotter than what the old stove would have had. So that is good. Got class 2 hearth pad for front floor protection. Will retrim it at somepoint.

Now the bad. The one thing I don't like about this stove is the ash plug. It is in the center of the firebox and in my opinion I wish it didn't have one at all. I must have knocked the ash plug a little loose at some point because I pulled it tonight and the gasket fell off. So I resealed it but want to come up with a more permanent non removable fix. My only other concern is that this stove seems to breathe quite easy. And I'm a little concerned it will get to hot on me once temps drop down to 0 again. It was 40 this morning when I left and my single wall flue thermo was reading 350 with both air levers shut all the way down. Maybe it was leaking around ash plug?
The middle picture is what I had left after a 12hr cycle. So I'm hoping most days I can do a full load every 12hr or so and keep the house above 55 on this schedule
View attachment 306918 View attachment 306919 View attachment 306920 View attachment 306921
Honestly I would just seal the ash plug shut. I find them completely useless

Reactions: Rickb
I was going to suggest sealing it on the underside and then putting a cut piece of firebrick to fill the gap on the firebox floor.

I'd still cut a piece of firebrick for the hole to keep the temperature down on the rtv. If it gets over 500º it might get stinky.

Ok. Did first full load this morning. Loaded up at 6am. By the time I left for work at 830am
I might not have had the cajones to leave a loaded stove before I had run it for several burns to have a good idea how it's gonna act. But maybe after a couple hours you could get a feel for what was going on with the burn. Especially if the load was lightweight wood which would do quite a bit of its gassing early.
I'm glad it looks like it's gonna do the job for you. 👍

A hinged door like the Buck 91 has is surely better than a plug. It was off to the left side so I could sweep the whole mess left over the door with the edge of the shovel, sweep the big coals back right to save 'em, flip up the door and sweep down the ash.
Nice-sized 3x5" door, not like the dinky thing on the PE. But even though the ash pan was gasketed, I could tell there was a little air getting past it.

Last edited:
A hinged door like the Buck 91 has is surely better than a plug. It was off to the left side so I could sweep the whole mess left over the door with the edge of the shovel, sweep the big coals back right to save 'em, flip up the door and sweep down the ash. Nice-sized 3x5" door, not like the dinky thing on the PE..
Hey, stop picking on my ashhole. ;lol Aw, might as well, I haven't used it in 13 yrs.

I'd still cut a piece of firebrick for the hole to keep the temperature down on the rtv. If it gets over 500º it might get stinky.
I would like to. But this plug has a teat with a hole that sticks up I'm guessing for hooking with a poker. That parts about level with the firebrick. I'm assuming that's how I knocked it loose and it was running so hard this am. Maybe in warm season I'll pull the plug and torch off the teat at work so I can put a firebrick in there

Yes, that's work. An angle grinder might be faster.

I Maybe in warm season I'll pull the plug and torch off the teat at work so I can put a firebrick in there
Or groove out the bottom of the brick with an angle grinder and masonry wheel..?

Reactions: Vg3200p
I have a Drolet Legend III and it is the worst stove I have ever owned. Walk away. I wish I had my old barrel stove back. Too much farting a round to get the darn thing to work right. Adjustable hinge pins. Useless ash drawer, ember/ash pan in front of door exacerbates door closing which compounds the hinge pin adjustment. If I could get half my money back I would take it in a heart beat.
Would you like help figuring out how to work through your issues? They are generally pretty well liked stoves.

Reactions: kcmclellan
I have a Drolet Legend III and it is the worst stove I have ever owned. Walk away. I wish I had my old barrel stove back. Too much farting a round to get the darn thing to work right. Adjustable hinge pins. Useless ash drawer, ember/ash pan in front of door exacerbates door closing which compounds the hinge pin adjustment. If I could get half my money back I would take it in a heart beat.
It's an excellent stove but yes, it's going to run differently than a barrel stove. Normally the hinges don't need adjusting on a new stove.
I pretty am sure you could get half your money back or better. This is a popular stove.

A big firebox like that should leave behind an awesome big bed of coals to restart fire with in the morning. Good for you!

I must have knocked the ash plug a little loose at some point because I pulled it tonight and the gasket fell off. So I resealed it but want to come up with a more permanent non removable fix.
You use silicone? If so probably too hot for it...I'd use furnace cement on it

With my Englander, the first thing I did was remove the ash plug, and cover the hole with a fire brick. What with the layer of ash-coals that is ever present, I have no fear of air leakage being a problem. Actually, I found the huge ash pan to be quite cumbersome to use it anyway, far easier just to shovel out the ash.

I have only bought three stoves since I started in '79, but this new stove is the darned easiest thing to start a fire (always lots of bloody hot coals in the morning) and keeping a fire going. Easiest stove to operate as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: bholler