New stove worked great for 2 days, now smoking horribly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, just 2-3' of flue height can make a noticeable difference, especially in warmer weather. A 5' piece of rigid 6" duct costs around $9 in the states (suitable for testing, not for long term use). Adding even a couple feet will help at least a little.

There are homes so close right above you that adding a few feet of chimney height would blow in their windows? This could cause some airflow issues, not just the short vent but in the airflow in the area. Wow this seems like a tough situation you're in, wish I could help more but I got about nothing. Maybe those stove mods may help. I've heard some folks that need help establishing a draft use a hair dryer to heat up the flue, not sure if that would help or if you have one. Good luck, hope you figure it out.

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to try modifying the stove this week, then will heat the flue when testing it out.

I would say the airflow could be an issue with the ridge, but it doesn't bother my neighbors' stove any. And these tiered-cake type of communities are common all down the west coast in the US and Mexico, and I don't hear much about it affecting people's stove/fireplace draw... hmmm... Will let you know how the stove modifications work out.

UPDATE:

GC came today, detached the chimney, disassembled the top of the stove, and removed the baffle with the insulation. No charge, and took about 40 minutes.

Stove is running like a charm now, and I can even run it with the door wide open without a wisp of smoke! Going to order a screen, so I can enjoy looking at the fire once in a while.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions here! You guys rock. Stay warm, and happy holidays!

Reactions: colin.p
This is a draft issue. Without the baffle the stove has been turned into an old style smoke dragon.

This is a draft issue. Without the baffle the stove has been turned into an old style smoke dragon.

Stove is going full on, and just a tiny whiff of smoke can be seen from the chimney, as it should be with proper combustion, right?

So, EPA stoves are great if they work right, but when they don't, they can be smokier than their old-fashioned counterparts. The amount of smoke I was putting out before removing the baffle was waaaayyy worse (and I don't just mean inside the house).

It appears it was a draft issue in the design of the interior of the stove. I don't think this would have been rectified by adding more chimney or an induction system.

Reactions: colin.p

Have you seen the baffle in these stoves? I'm not condoning taking the baffle out but in this case I believe the baffle IS the draft issue.

It's a joke. No other way to put it.

Evidently is can burn ok with dry wood and decent draft. We've had a couple reports for the same stove burning too hot due to the lack of air control. And yes, that makes is more of a bad joke.

Reactions: tarzan
Status
Not open for further replies.