New stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vg3200p

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2021
Clinton county indiana
Just installed a vogelzang model 2020 it's a 2000sqft epa non cat stove. Was running an old coal stove. But thanks to this forum we decided to get serious about heating with wood. Doing the breaking burn now. Can't wait to have a warm house instead of a chilly one

IMG_20211218_172941605.jpg IMG_20211218_175209199.jpg

I know that this is a cheap Chinese made stove. It's what we could afford right now. Can I expect to be able to do overnight burns in this? My old coal stove would burn a full load in like an hour and a half

You burn what you can! My first stove was a used $100 stove, my 2nd was purchased on clearance at Lowes for less than $300.

Your stove is a 2cu ft stove according to the manufacturer. With good wood and a not too tall chimney this shouldn't be an issue. You should at least get close.

With proper loading and operation it should be possible to get an 8hr burn repeatedly with that size stove. Keep us posted on how it works out. Key to success will be having good, dry firewood. That makes a very big difference.

With proper loading and operation it should be possible to get an 8hr burn repeatedly with that size stove. Keep us posted on how it works out. Key to success will be having good, dry firewood. That makes a very big difference.
I have a decent wood supply but marginal mc at at best. This is my first season burning and didn't have a chance to build up dry wood early enough. May have to supplement with bio bricks

I know that this is a cheap Chinese made stove. It's what we could afford right now. Can I expect to be able to do overnight burns in this? My old coal stove would burn a full load in like an hour and a half
I see Menard's claims 8 hour burn times. I would think after you figure it out and get used to it you can get close to that. Guarantee you can make it burn longer than 1.5 hours, ha!

Nothing wrong with getting by with that stove for a couple of years. I was ready to buy the smaller version from Vogelzang/US Stove until I realized I could swing something else a little more expensive with the credit. Now you can wait and take your time to catch something on sale as an upgrade - or who knows, maybe that stove will last 10+ years. The feedback I've seen on US Stove products is very hit or miss, so there may be good and bad ones. They do have some sort of limited lifetime warranty on the firebox, for whatever that may be worth.

I see Menard's claims 8 hour burn times. I would think after you figure it out and get used to it you can get close to that. Guarantee you can make it burn longer than 1.5 hours, ha!

Nothing wrong with getting by with that stove for a couple of years. I was ready to buy the smaller version from Vogelzang/US Stove until I realized I could swing something else a little more expensive with the credit. Now you can wait and take your time to catch something on sale as an upgrade - or who knows, maybe that stove will last 10+ years. The feedback I've seen on US Stove products is very hit or miss, so there may be good and bad ones. They do have some sort of limited lifetime warranty on the firebox, for whatever that may be worth.
The warranty is 1 year I believe

With a non cat epa stove should I have my air set to where I constantly see secondary flames? Or should I chit air down completley once it gets up to temp and a good coalbed is established?

Really exited house is warmer and used about a quarter of the wood I usually would have in a night
How tall is your chimney?
My experience with the newer "EPA" VZ stoves is that they work well enough, but are easy breathers and would probably work best on a shorter chimney (or would certainly benefit from having a manual damper in the stove pipe if its on a taller chimney)

With a non cat epa stove should I have my air set to where I constantly see secondary flames? Or should I chit air down completley once it gets up to temp and a good coalbed is established?
You'll see the secondary flames up top mainly the first hour or two...after that it will be more so primary flames or just red hot glowing coals.
Once the fire is well established and the stove is up to normal operating temp, you should be able to cut the air back in 25% increments every few minutes (making the next adjustment only if the fire is still going strong, or has stabilized after the previous adjustment...if everything is going right and you have good dry wood you should be able to completely close the air adjustment after a while (its not really 100% closed)
And you can close it down faster than that if the fire does not snuff out...you'll get the longest burns with air "shut down"

Last edited:
Have 3ft to a 90 to a ft of single wall. Then a Selkirk through the wall kit. To a 90 tee. Then about 20ft of Selkirk ultratemp pipe

IMG_20211210_133134844_HDR.jpg IMG_20211120_082428320.jpg IMG_20211218_204245937.jpg IMG_20211120_082428320.jpg IMG_20211210_123301535_HDR.jpg

Have 3ft to a 90 to a ft of single wall. Then a Selkirk through the wall kit. To a 90 tee. Then about 20ft of Selkirk ultratemp pipe

View attachment 287985 View attachment 287986 View attachment 287987 View attachment 287988 View attachment 287989
Looks good...that'll work for sure...wouldn't be surprised if you would benefit from a manual damper in the pipe 18-24" above the stove there...not totally necessary, but could extend burns a little longer and put a little more heat in the house, especially once the weather gets colder and the chimney draft stronger...like I said just based on my experience with a EPA VZ (Defender) but I think they pretty much are all easy breathers so...

Looks good...that'll work for sure...wouldn't be surprised if you would benefit from a manual damper in the pipe 18-24" above the stove there...not totally necessary, but could extend burns a little longer and put a little more heat in the house, especially once the weather gets colder and the chimney draft stronger...like I said just based on my experience with a EPA VZ (Defender) but I think they pretty much are all easy breathers so...
Thanks for the help!!!

Reactions: brenndatomu
Ran it hard all weekend. Last night stuffed it decently full at 11. Let it establish itself then shutdown air. Woke up at 530am to full bed of coals and stovetop temp of just under200. So with some better wood and maybe adding some small splits to fill in air gaps. I could get 8hr. Thanks for help guys