New system piping scheme - input appreciated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

headrc

Mar 28, 2008
MidEast Tennessee
Well I am finally going to attempt to install my system. I am using an OWB and will have two main zones that will run off heat exchangers. The first zone will be for my house and I (unless I am im influenced otherwise) have decided to use the Ultra Fin hanging radiant system which requires no mixing (hopefully) and then for the rest of the house I will be putting in a combination of panel radiators (if my pocket book can afford it). The house system will be a home run distribution system with the Ultra Fin and one zone of the panel radiators (in the upstairs) controlled by thermostats controlling their valves. The next zone will be a couple of panel radiators in series with TRVs on them. The second main zone will be at another building with in-slab radiant heat that will require mixing. With all the great input I have received on this site ...and then with spending a lot of time reading Sieganthaler's book hopefully I am coming at this as somewhat of an educated novice now. What I would like is feedback on my piping scheme which I have attached. I still have to size the pumps, radiators etc. I know what what my heat loss calculations are and will be working on all that next ...but I do not want to make any mistakes here so again any feedback on my layout would be appreciated. If I am way off base I want to know! RH

Attachments

• Final heat system draft for web.jpg
    Final heat system draft for web.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 487
You are correct ...that mixing valve needs to be before the circulator. Thank you ...this is exactly the kind of input I need before I proceed .....please any other assistance regarding my design will be very much appreciated. RH

It looks like it would work to me. Two question that come to mind:

1. Is the boiler larger enough to supply heat to both buildings?

2. Are you accounting for DHW in your design? I didn't see it in the drawing.

Thanks for the response. Yes ...according to my heat loss calculations the boiler has more than enough capacity for my needs. Regarding the DWH ....the boiler has a heat exchanger coil in it to connect directly to the DHW ...which is why is one of the reasons it it not pictured. Also I ran out of space ....I know the diagram could have been done better but it was my first draft and I wanted to get feedback before I moved ahead to controls, pump sizing etc. So other than the mixing valve being in the wrong place on the zone for the regular radiant heat is there any other problems that come to light? Thx again ....hopeful once I have a handle on this I can help others as well. Also ...any advice on who to work with for purchasing components for this system is welcome. I need someone I can get on the phone who has the time to consult with me making the right decisions. RH

Status
Not open for further replies.