New thimble install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Louis

Oct 21, 2018
Ocean County, NJ
Going to be replacing my thimble that goes into a mason chimney.. need to do so because the one that was made before i bought the house is very low making it so that the stove pipe coming off the stove collar is a very very short run into the thimble.

I will probably use Rockford Chimney Supply's Insulated Wall Thimble (round), my question is whats the best way to make the 6.25" hole cleanly through the brick AND the 3/4" clay liner. would a core drill work? im sure there is a concern on the liner cracking, but i assume a core drill would be best.

also, if anyone has had experience with that company's wall thimble let me know how it went install wise and how you like the product.

Thank you!

Going to be replacing my thimble that goes into a mason chimney.. need to do so because the one that was made before i bought the house is very low making it so that the stove pipe coming off the stove collar is a very very short run into the thimble.

I will probably use Rockford Chimney Supply's Insulated Wall Thimble (round), my question is whats the best way to make the 6.25" hole cleanly through the brick AND the 3/4" clay liner. would a core drill work? im sure there is a concern on the liner cracking, but i assume a core drill would be best.

also, if anyone has had experience with that company's wall thimble let me know how it went install wise and how you like the product.

Thank you!
My experience....No easy way to cut through the terracotta with out ending up cracking the damn thing or breaking something and ending up needing a liner to go with the new thimble. You can try drilling a hundred smaller diameter holes around the circle with a masonry bit and then using a demo hammer to chisel it out but like I said, something always happens and your hosed. Call me a pessimist.

Core bit. Zoop.

You may be able to rent the bit and an sds+ drill at home depot.
Never seen a 6.5" core bit for something like this. 4" but not bigger. I'm sure somebody has something but you're going to need a seriously big tool to drive that puppy. No puns please......

I didn't know HD would rent tools. Is that something new?

The only core bits I have seen that big need to be run wet. If it is in an unfinished basement that may work ok if not using a wet drill wont work

A few years back, we had a contractor running new utilities for the building expansion we put up. He was using a 6"+ core bit run dry to go through a thick concrete wall. My arm got sore thinking about what would happen if that thing decided to bite.

Edit: This was at work.

A few years back, we had a contractor running new utilities for the building expansion we put up. He was using a 6"+ core bit run dry to go through a thick concrete wall. My arm got sore thinking about what would happen if that thing decided to bite.

Edit: This was at work.
It is worth looking into. I have used core bits lots of times and the ones I have never found one over 3 that was dry

They got the holes done, but for all I know, they just used a wet bit run dry and burned up a bit. I didn't stick around, I could hear it loud enough on the other side of the plant. It took him quite a while.

They got the holes done, but for all I know, they just used a wet bit run dry and burned up a bit. I didn't stick around, I could hear it loud enough on the other side of the plant. It took him quite a while.
I will have to look again I would get one if I could find one you can run dry

The one I linked earlier is a dry bit. They also have a wet one for $10 less.

They have a 6 1/4" and a 6" dry one too.

Image1493947707576294037.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think anyone makes dry core bits for solid concrete. The steel gets too hot and the diamonds fall off.

Some contractors would rather bill an extra $150-$500 for a new bit than deal with the mucky water (which actually isn't bad, you just put down a plastic dropcloth and set up a clay dam on top of it, or if you have a helper just stick a shopvac under the bit).

We always used Hilti bits when I was making big holes in stuff; those guys are pricey. The big ones go into the thousands of dollars, and can cost more than the drill.

Reactions: WinterinWI
Thank you all for the replies.. I would just use a dry bit. I know HD rents and has for a long time now but not sure if they rent odd sizes such as a 6.25. might just have to grab one from ebay. My main concern was cracking the clay liner, ill take it easy and maybe when i get to the clay do some perimeter holes before running the core bit so if it does crack its less likely to crack else where and more likely to crack hole to hole (hopefully).

I just did one today. I simply used a grinder with a diamond wheel after trying to drill holes. They were just blowing out on the backside.

IMG_20190220_090707.jpg IMG_20190220_091456.jpg IMG_20190220_092805.jpg IMG_20190220_114655.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good tip and illustration!

I just did one today. I simply used a grinder with a diamond wheel after trying to drill holes. They were just blowing out on the backside.

View attachment 241169 View attachment 241170 View attachment 241171 View attachment 241173

Thanks for the photos! very helpful to have a visual. The hole you made in the clay was exaclty 6" ?? And diamond bit grinder, ill have to keep that in mind. Did you perhaps use the one from Rockford Chimney? if not, which did you use??

Thanks for the photos! very helpful to have a visual. The hole you made in the clay was exaclty 6" ?? And diamond bit grinder, ill have to keep that in mind. Did you perhaps use the one from Rockford Chimney? if not, which did you use??
It was cut to match the 6" clay crock I stubbed through the chimney block. I use the olympia insulated thimble that I buy directly from them. I don't know what Rockford sells it may be theirs. It is by far the easiest one I have found to work with. I took a pic of the thimble partially installed but it didn't save correctly for some reason.

Reactions: Louis
What is the worst one you have worked with?
Safe t thimble was probably the most pita. It works fine but just isn't as easy to install.

awesome, thanks. did you have to motar/cement the pipe inside the clay? or was it snug enough to not have to
No I attached the clay crock with refractory cement then buttered the back of the insulated thimble before screwing it fast. The stainless was a snug fit through the crock so there was no need to mortar that. Plus he will probably be getting a stainless liner in a few years so I wanted that sleeve to be removeable

No I attached the clay crock with refractory cement then buttered the back of the insulated thimble before screwing it fast. The stainless was a snug fit through the crock so there was no need to mortar that. Plus he will probably be getting a stainless liner in a few years so I wanted that sleeve to be removeable

Got it. Thank you very much for the knowledge.