New thimble into terra cotta liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IowaHuntr

May 22, 2022
Iowa
Hello all, new to the forum. Getting ready to install different wood stove and upgrade wall pass through to exterior chimney. Chimney has 12” x 8” terra cotta liner. Currently has 8” crock passing through wall but does not have sufficient clearance and I can see charred wood inside the wall from previous use. (From previous owner(s). Looking for an insulated thimble to pass through wall that will fit into the 8” hole in the chimney liner and accept 8” stove pipe from stove. I have attached pics of what I am working with as well as an e ample of what I think I need for a thimble? Any thimble suggestions appreciated. We are tearing the interior wall out so will be able to frame in whatever we need and access hole in liner fairly well. Thanks in advance!

B8F1C5BB-3F28-4A06-A9A8-232ED89440F9.jpeg 6E1A2A10-05AB-4F07-B0DB-8EAE2FB03BB3.jpeg 47E0A9BB-9B3A-441A-AB21-940D7AB1DFD0.jpeg 4D14E320-1A09-429F-BEBC-F8425718A3B3.png

Insulated thimble inside the stick built structure, stainless steel flue goes through the insulated thimble, terra cotta thimble and into the 8x12chimney liner.

Thanks EBL. Are you recommending that I keep the terra cotta crock thimble and downsize my pipe to go through it? I planned to get rid of it all together. Thank you

Thanks EBL. Are you recommending that I keep the terra cotta crock thimble and downsize my pipe to go through it? I planned to get rid of it all together. Thank you
The terracotta crock gets removed as well as any combustible materials inside the area specified by the manufacturer of the thimble. That thimble then gets attached to the masonry chimney structure and a stainless pipe is run through it to the inside face of the clay liner. It gets sealed with refractory cement and you stove pipe gets attached to the other end.

And the ventis thimble you have a picture of there is the easiest one I have found to work with

Reactions: IowaHuntr
The terracotta crock gets removed as well as any combustible materials inside the area specified by the manufacturer of the thimble. That thimble then gets attached to the masonry chimney structure and a stainless pipe is run through it to the inside face of the clay liner. It gets sealed with refractory cement and you stove pipe gets attached to the other end.

And the ventis thimble you have a picture of there is the easiest one I have found

And the ventis thimble you have a picture of there is the easiest one I have found to work with
Thanks bholler. I think I’ll go ahead and get one ordered. I appreciate it

Thanks bholler. I think I’ll go ahead and get one ordered. I appreciate it

Is this the same thing? Copperfield brand I found about $50 less. BF857549-3B79-4A56-B610-66425AEA1174.jpeg