New to all this, looking for assistance with wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnRP

Oct 27, 2020
St Charles, IL
Hello all,

I am looking to have a fireplace insert installed, and looking for some help. I have ben lurking here for quite awhile, and I am finally getting around to getting this project done.

I have an existing wood burning fireplace that the previous owner installed a gas log set in. I am looking to put in a wood burning insert. I would like to install as large of a fireplace as possible, preferably with the style the extends out somewhat, for more heat output during power outages, heating a tea kettle, etc.

A more rustic style would fit the decor.

Not terribly concerned about price of the stove, just looking for very high quality, performance, etc.

I have attached a hand sketch of the dimensions, as well as a couple of pictures of the fireplace. I plan on removing the mantle, and installing a more simplified version of a shelf across the top. You can see the edge of the vents that they covered with the mantle down where it meets the hearth.

The house is a 3500 sq ft ranch. The room the fireplace in is fairly large, an A frame section of the house. At least 15 feet tall. The fireplace will be used as supplemental heating to the house, but I would like it as large as possible without getting ridiculous, for whatever that means.....

I am sure there are items I have missed... I can try to fill any glaring holes, and can get better pictures when I am back home later today.

Thanks for any help you can give on Brand, Style, etc. Oh yah, prefer to stay with non catalytic. Was looking at the larger Quadrafire, and some others.

John

Attachments

• IMG_6235.jpg
    IMG_6235.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3872.jpeg
    IMG_3872.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3875.jpeg
    IMG_3875.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 101
The choices have changed in 2020, but you have several options in the 3 cu ft size range. Quadrafire, Osburn, Pacific Energy make large, non-cat stoves. There is also the IronStrike Montlake 300.

begreen, thank you for the info. I had missed the Montlake in all of my previous searches. Looks like a nice option, even though there aren't any dealers terribly close to me.

Are there things to watch out for with any of those companies? I will read through the 2020 EPA sticky.

Not really. All make good quality products. Quad, Osburn, and the Montlake all are tube stoves. The PE has a unique stainless baffle and secondary regulation. I have only seen the Montlake on the showroom floor. Not sure about details with it like blower location, quietness, etc.

As I often mention in threads like this, hopefully you have already secured some wood to burn and it is seasoning on your yard. Too many homeowners look for an insert, obtain one, then get wood which is invariably too wet. That results in sub-par performance and a very disappointing experience.

Get some wood now if you have not already, get it stacked, covered and in the sun to start seasoning. Lots of threads on hear about how to get wood and how long it takes. If you already have some set aside, then good for you, if not make this your #1 priority right now.

Reactions: kborndale