New to all this. Wood type?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jupsten

Jul 15, 2020
Indiana
Hey guys and gals. Name is Tom. I’m new to the fireplace/wood stove life. Just got a house with both. Trying to identify some wood. I have a lot of this down out in my woods and I’ve begun collecting it for this coming winter. Anybody know what it is and if it’ll be any good to burn? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 238
It's a bit hard to tell without some leaves but if it is dense and heavy it might be locust? Can you post a picture of a living version of this same species out in the woods?

Reactions: Jupsten
My first thought was elm also. Split some open and post more pics.

Reactions: Jupsten
Another vote for elm.

Reactions: tadmaz and Jupsten
Whatever it is, Locust, Elm, will be good for burning. Get it split and stacked and should be good to burn this winter.

My experience with locust is fairly easy split, most of my elm experience is very stringy and hard to split. That should be your proof of wood species between the two candidates.

Reactions: Tar12
It does look like some very abused locust. Splitting will tell.

Not sure from those photos, Tom. If you have some silver maple or tulip poplar handy, compare the weight of those to your wood in the photo. If it's quite a bit heavier, you have some kind of hardwood. All hardwood is good wood.

Things like silver maple and tulip tree can be good too, but the question is putting the labor into cutting, hauling, splitting, etc.

Try to get oak, maple (sugar or red), hickory, locust, ash, elm, or beech first. They're all good. Oak, hickory, and beech are my personal favorites. Of the lighter-weight woods, native black cherry is best, in my book.

Elm is not easy stuff to work with, in my opinion. But if you have it in volume, it gives plenty of heat.

Not sure from those photos, Tom. If you have some silver maple or tulip poplar handy, compare the weight of those to your wood in the photo. If it's quite a bit heavier, you have some kind of hardwood. All hardwood is good wood.

Things like silver maple and tulip tree can be good too, but the question is putting the labor into cutting, hauling, splitting, etc.

Try to get oak, maple (sugar or red), hickory, locust, ash, elm, or beech first. They're all good. Oak, hickory, and beech are my personal favorites. Of the lighter-weight woods, native black cherry is best, in my book.

Elm is not easy stuff to work with, in my opinion. But if you have it in volume, it gives plenty of heat.
Thanks. I’ll try to check that out. They are pretty heavy Little logs, and pretty dense. Whatever this ends up being, I have quite a bit of it down in my woods, so it may be my main source until I get Into tackling some of the bigger stuff.

I am pretty sure you have some Black locust there. See the top round with the yellow also the bark looks like BL too. Not sure about all of it. 80 % of my firewood is BL.

I am pretty sure you have some Black locust there. See the top round with the yellow also the bark looks like BL too. Not sure about all of it. 80 % of my firewood is BL.
That was my clue too.