New to Forum Buck 26000 Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

9R41

Nov 14, 2014
Whitewater Township, Ohio
Hello all.....

Found this site researching info for my Buck 26000. First a little background....

I bought my home 7 1/2 years ago. The previous owner had a Buck Stove (26000) sitting around. I've kept the , stove, but never used it. He apparently used it at some point, but I don't know when. I've been using the fireplace more for ambiance than heat, but decided I wanted to use the Buck as an insert for supplemental heat, at least while we are home. The chimney is not lined, but that is something I will be doing, or have done, in the near future, but I will place it in the fireplace as a test once I "restore" the stove....I've had the chimney cleaned/inspected by 2 different companies. One told me I'd had a chimney fire in the past, and my chimney required $3000 in work. The second is a chimney mason (I don't know if that's the proper term), and a certified chimney "sweep". His opinion was the first guy was FOS, and his most significant criticism was I needed a new chimney cap, and it needed to be cleaned, which was done. After the cleaning he said it didn't really look like the fireplace had been used much, and there certainly hadn't been a chimney fire. He gave my chimney a clean bill of health. I showed him my stove and he told me I should line the chimney with SS liner, for maximum efficiency but it wasn't absolutely necessary. Again I will be doing it, but I would like to see that the stove makes a difference in my heating bill before I pump money into a liner only to find out that the stove doesn't heat my 1900 sf first floor.

I started today by pulling the stove out of storage by putting the stove in my workshop to see what I was dealing with. Other than some surface rust I can't really find anything wrong with it. I'll be damned if when I plugged it in and flipped the toggle switch the motor worked. I seem to have 2 speeds, low, and a speed usually reserved for aircraft wind tunnel testing. The problem is the plate around the switch is unreadable and I have no idea if its on manual or automatic, or if if it has a manual or automatic setting. It doesn't seem to have an "off" and while plugged in I can only turn it off by "balancing" it between high or low. Does anyone have a picture of the plate that would show the switch positions? Online research has been fruitless....

I also don't know what year this stove was produced, and I can't find any identifying numbers or markings on the stove to help in that regard. Any ideas?

Apologies for the long post. I've taken pictures of the start, and hope to post them and more as the restoration progresses. Any help and advice is welcome.....

Chris, All the information you want regarding your stove can be had from https://servicesales.com/buck-stove-repairs-i-9.html
They are a dealer I've used and also a sponsor on this site. I would help but there are a few different flavors of these bucks. Post a picture. My guess is it will need a new motor and thermostate (couple to 3 hundred bucks).
Your decision will come when you have to buy a liner. The buck will want a 8" liner, std now is 6".

Status
Not open for further replies.