New to forum, couple questions around pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WILL1E

Feb 16, 2021
Wisconsin
Hey everyone, new to the forum! I'm located in NE Wisconsin and i'm in the planning phases of a cabin build and i've got some questions around pellet stoves.

Our cabin size is expected to be 16' x 24-28' and we are debating between an open concept with 2 lofts or just a traditional 2 story design. The cabin will mainly be weekend use at best.

1. With an open concept and lofts, i've seen most people just use ceiling fans and some people also installing vents in the loft floor that are open to the space below the loft to help the cold/warm air circulate. If i go to a traditional 2 story with a staircase, how best do i get the warm air from the 1st floor up to the second when heating with a pellet stove? I'm not sure if the 2nd floor will have any walled off rooms or if it'll stay open concept.

2. What's the general consensus around here for the Castle brand pellet stoves? I would like to stay around $1000-$1500 for my stove and not only does their Serenity model fit that, but they are also sold at Home Depot and they are based here in WI (yes, i know they are Chinese made).

Look forward to your insights!

What brand of venting do you want to use & how do you plan to run it?
Horizontal? Vertical? Horizontal & Vertical? Outside Air kit?
That decision can add a couple hundred dollars or more to the price.

Welcome to the forum WILL1E
First, a pellet stove is a space heater not designed to heat
a 2 story home/cabin. If you want even heat throughout
then put in a forced-air system. If you go open plan
a pellet stove should do you well. The stove you buy should be
bigger than what you feel you need. It is better to have extra BTU.s
when it gets very cold than a stove that was sized too small.
Cutting vents for some works other not so much. Ceiling fans a must
if you are going with a lot and high ceilings.
Buy the stove you like and will work for you try to stay within your budget

My house is 24x32 open concept 2 story, upstairs loft stays warm with just the pellet stove.

Being a weekend cabin you’ll need another heat source to keep pipes from freezing while you’re gone, unless you winterize it every time you leave.

1000-1500 won't get you much in the way of a new stove today and like was stated above, the venting will add at least a couple hundred to the initial cost. For you price point, I'd be seriously considering an higher end, higher output unit that has been reconditioned.

Higher end units will have much more controlability.