New to me 2009 Osburn 2400 Insert/restoration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JMBoriss

Feb 10, 2019
Columbus, Indiana
I currently have a CFM 2500 insert (made by SBI, same as Century 2500) trying to heat a 2600 sq ft house and it just wasn't doing the job, even after installing a block off plate and filling the chimney with roxul, although that did help a lot. See here for that thread:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...insert-not-really-helping-please-help.174273/

I did update the above post but was advised by another forum member to create a new post for the below.

Yesterday my dad and I drove down to pick up the Osburn 2400, about 9 hour round trip. I used an engine hoist to load and unload it in the back of the truck. This morning I cleaned out the insert and took the pictures.

It'll definitely need to replace some parts but looks to be in great shape. I would like to hear your thoughts. In the spring/summer, I plan on taking it all apart completely getting rid of the rust and painting it with stove bright paint, and replacing all the gaskets for next season. Looking forward to fall/winter already. I plan to document the insert restoration in this thread as it happens.

Glass and door in good shape, just needs a good cleaning and paint.
IMG_4021.jpg

Secondary air tubes. The middle one is a little bent, is that okay to use as it or should I buy a replacement?
IMG_4003.jpg

Blanket weight and close up of air tubes:
IMG_4004.jpg

The below was what was used for the top baffle "C-Cast Baffle". Very light stuff, like a very light firebrick. To replace these, I need two at $70 a piece. I plan on replacing them but was wondering if anything else could be used that a little less expensive? Also, there seems to be 2 kinds the below pictures, which seems to be vermiculite, cheaper at $40 each and a gray one. Any idea which one is better?
IMG_4005.jpg

Top of insert:
IMG_4015.jpg

Pieces pulled from the inside. According to the manual some are for holding in the firebricks. the other metals pieces were probably used to level the insert when it was in fireplace and just thrown in when removed, I can assume.
IMG_4020.jpg

Blower. It works and pushes a lot of air. Manual says "up to 144CFM". Looking forward to having a blower with a temp switch.
IMG_4026.jpg

The back:
IMG_4024.jpg

Side. The air control is really hard to push in and out. Should I just put some grease to lubricate the moving parts?
IMG_4022.jpg

The other side:
IMG_4025.jpg

It's the bigger surround that Osburn sells so I lucked out. This one's height is over 30". Seller wasn't able to measure before so I was hoping it wasn't the smallest one as it wouldn't cover completely my fireplace opening, but thankfully this one does.
IMG_4017.jpg

Manufactured 10/13/2009. Newer than both my cars, and house.
IMG_4023.jpg

Good firebricks vs. the cracked ones. Do you recommend I buy new ones to replace the cracked ones or can I try and just fit them back together best I can? If putting them back together should I use a bead of that cement fireblock caulk?
IMG_4019.jpg

Pieces to hold up the top baffle:
IMG_4018.jpg

Baffle insulation blanket, definitely needs to be replaced. $28 part or can I just use a thin cut of roxul?
IMG_4016.jpg

Air gap picture. Any thoughts on how to clean in there? Or just leave it?
IMG_4014.jpg

Door. I think the seller used the wrong diameter gasket (too small) as the door doesn't completely seal that well. either way I plan to replace it next season. Seems to be a pretty cheap part, like $25.
IMG_4007.jpg

This firebox is huge! Over twice the same of what I have now.
IMG_4006.jpg

Inside firebox looking down:
IMG_4012.jpg

In, looking to the left:
IMG_4011.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4026.jpg
    IMG_4026.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 203
Last edited by a moderator:
Up and to the right:
IMG_4008.jpg

Up and to the left:
IMG_4010.jpg

Top with baffle and air tubes removed:
IMG_4009.jpg

In the firebox, looking up:
IMG_4013.jpg

I'd liketo hear your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a fun project you have for this summer. I look forward to seeing your posts.

I have been running SBI products for 20 years now and am very happy with the build quality and performance of the units I have owned.

Since you have the insert torn down, I would advise replacing any worn out or broken parts if it's in the budget. I would replace the broken bricks, the bent air tube, blanket, and baffle with new parts. The c-cast baffles are standard on Osburn stoves and the vermiculite in SBI's Drolet stoves. Not sure which of the two is more durable, but I would assume the c-cast since it's more costly.

Based on the appearance of the insert, I would guess you have some rust in the air control. Is that accessible to clean out up?

Have fun with the project!

Reactions: JMBoriss
Up and to the right:
View attachment 241860

Up and to the left:
View attachment 241861

Top with baffle and air tubes removed:
View attachment 241862

In the firebox, looking up:
View attachment 241863

I'd liketo hear your thoughts.
I currently have a CFM 2500 insert (made by SBI, same as Century 2500) trying to heat a 2600 sq ft house and it just wasn't doing the job, even after installing a block off plate and filling the chimney with roxul, although that did help a lot. See here for that thread:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...insert-not-really-helping-please-help.174273/

I did update the above post but was advised by another forum member to create a new post for the below.

Yesterday my dad and I drove down to pick up the Osburn 2400, about 9 hour round trip. I used an engine hoist to load and unload it in the back of the truck. This morning I cleaned out the insert and took the pictures.

It'll definitely need to replace some parts but looks to be in great shape. I would like to hear your thoughts. In the spring/summer, I plan on taking it all apart completely getting rid of the rust and painting it with stove bright paint, and replacing all the gaskets for next season. Looking forward to fall/winter already. I plan to document the insert restoration in this thread as it happens.

Glass and door in good shape, just needs a good cleaning and paint.
View attachment 241839

Secondary air tubes. The middle one is a little bent, is that okay to use as it or should I buy a replacement?
View attachment 241840

Blanket weight and close up of air tubes:
View attachment 241841

The below was what was used for the top baffle "C-Cast Baffle". Very light stuff, like a very light firebrick. To replace these, I need two at $70 a piece. I plan on replacing them but was wondering if anything else could be used that a little less expensive? Also, there seems to be 2 kinds the below pictures, which seems to be vermiculite, cheaper at $40 each and a gray one. Any idea which one is better?
View attachment 241842

Top of insert:
View attachment 241843

Pieces pulled from the inside. According to the manual some are for holding in the firebricks. the other metals pieces were probably used to level the insert when it was in fireplace and just thrown in when removed, I can assume.
View attachment 241844

Blower. It works and pushes a lot of air. Manual says "up to 144CFM". Looking forward to having a blower with a temp switch.
View attachment 241845

The back:
View attachment 241850

Side. The air control is really hard to push in and out. Should I just put some grease to lubricate the moving parts?
View attachment 241847

The other side:
View attachment 241848

It's the bigger surround that Osburn sells so I lucked out. This one's height is over 30". Seller wasn't able to measure before so I was hoping it wasn't the smallest one as it wouldn't cover completely my fireplace opening, but thankfully this one does.
View attachment 241849

Manufactured 10/13/2009. Newer than both my cars, and house.
View attachment 241851

Good firebricks vs. the cracked ones. Do you recommend I buy new ones to replace the cracked ones or can I try and just fit them back together best I can? If putting them back together should I use a bead of that cement fireblock caulk?
View attachment 241852

Pieces to hold up the top baffle:
View attachment 241853

Baffle insulation blanket, definitely needs to be replaced. $28 part or can I just use a thin cut of roxul?
View attachment 241854

Air gap picture. Any thoughts on how to clean in there? Or just leave it?
View attachment 241855

Door. I think the seller used the wrong diameter gasket (too small) as the door doesn't completely seal that well. either way I plan to replace it next season. Seems to be a pretty cheap part, like $25.
View attachment 241856

This firebox is huge! Over twice the same of what I have now.
View attachment 241857

Inside firebox looking down:
View attachment 241858

In, looking to the left:
View attachment 241859

Just curious. How much did you pay ? In case if it's not a secret?

Just curious. How much did you pay ? In case if it's not a secret?

I paid $500 for it. My dad came with me, he paid for the truck rental and paid for almost all of the gas. I was willing to take my 2000 silverado 2500, lol. This was his birthday present to me. The trip only cost me about $45 so, so far I'm only in it $545. Hopefully I can sell my current CFM 2500 for $300. We'll see how much all the paint and new parts costs me. I'll update the totals as they come.

Reactions: Dmitry
I had the similar 1800 model. Not sure what holds the baffles in the 2400 but mine had an angle iron strip that ran front to back. Mine had the light weight baffles that cracked and had the blanket but the previous model year called for fire brick baffles and no blanket. I called Osburn they confirmed the fire brick would be fine. Other than than that it was a great stove and heated the middle and upper floor of my 3 level house. I could only get 5-6 hours of burn time so the NG heater would still kick on around 4 am.

Doesnt look bad at all, at this point I would spend the money for replacement parts especially the bricks, put it together with a paint job will look brandy new.

This if for sale! $500! Please let me know if anyone is interested. Thank you, Jon.

This if for sale! $500! Please let me know if anyone is interested. Thank you, Jon.
Post the stove with details in the Classified forum here:

Is it reassembled now? Why the sale?

Post the stove with details in the Classified forum here:

Is it reassembled now? Why the sale?

I just did post it there, thank you. Oh, life happened and I sold the house. It's not been touched, but has been sitting in a dry garage since the original post. I'm just trying to get my money back out of it. The new house I'm in has a 1970's zero clearance fireplace and there's no way this bad boy is going to fit in that thing and I'm not building a masonry fireplace!

Well, congratulations on the new house. FWIW, cleaned up and repainted with new gaskets and some bricks replace, this insert could go for $12-1500. Though I imagine you have your hands full right now with moving.