New to me MS461

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Longknife

Burning Hunk
Oct 12, 2016
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I grew up with the "one saw" mentality (although we usually had 2 of about the same size) on a farm and we did everything with Stihl 034s, 036s and an 038 that was stolen.

I was running an rebuilt 036 until a few years ago when it grenaded the bottom end. I found a really nice gently used 026 that has been a real gem. It was however a little on the smaller side for felling and bucking hardwood (awesome for limbing though!), and as I've been cutting mostly by myself the last few years (meaning I don't have my father's or father-in-laws bigger saws with me in the bush) I've been keeping my eye out for a decent bigger saw.

I found the below on the local classifieds and it seems to be a great saw. It's a close to mint as a used chainsaw gets and runs great. I haven't put it through it's paces for a full day yet, but I look forward to it. I may do a DP muffler mod, but then again from what I've read, they run pretty good stock. Definitely going to get some more aggressive log dogs for it. A full wrap might be nice (not common around here) but hard to justify the cost.

Funny thing is, a few days ago I headed to the bush, but knowing the trees I was tackling that day, I left this in the shop and stuck with the 026.;lol

2gwruds.jpg

If you look @ https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/which-bigger-saw-to-buy.167953/

Tar & StihlKicking noted some problems with 461’s. I grew up with two teeth rattling Poulans with 16” bars, couldn’t ever persuade Dad to by a larger saw for cutting hedge. I have also been wanting a larger saw but think the 271 will have to suffice for now. The 021 w14” bar has worked well for limbing & will be very handy cleaning out fences this summer.

If you look @ https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/which-bigger-saw-to-buy.167953/

Tar & StihlKicking noted some problems with 461’s. I grew up with two teeth rattling Poulans with 16” bars, couldn’t ever persuade Dad to by a larger saw for cutting hedge. I have also been wanting a larger saw but think the 271 will have to suffice for now. The 021 w14” bar has worked well for limbing & will be very handy cleaning out fences this summer.
I still have Poulan 5000 that pre-dates our Stihl days on the farm, which I'm going to send out for a tune up soon. I've always discounted it and didn't have the heart to throw it out, but I've read that they can chew wood pretty good so I'll get it going again.

I also plan on picking up my grandfather's Pioneer XL-76 to have a around as a novelty. I think it's only survived this long as it spent most of it's time as the "cottage saw" for the last 40 years.

As far as issues on a 461, nearly everything I read has been positive, so here's hoping. I am considering occasional Alaskan mill use . I have a access to a band saw mill, however if I had the ability to square up cedars in the bush, it would be handy.

My wife bought me a 461 for Christmas 2 years ago. I might get the dual muffler mod but that's about it. Runs good
IMAG0805.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
IMAG0805.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Ive been running an 026 - 460 combo for 20 years. Perfect combo in my opinion.

I gave mine a pretty good work out over the last few weeks. 3 good storms, no felling trees but I cut split and stacked 7 trees. This one is my new favorite, Black Locust.

IMAG1104.jpg

Love my 461. I use my 461 as my main saw these days on anything over 10" and felling.

The 260 doesn't get too many hours lately - I keep it on the atv cutting deadfalls on trails, grape vines and small stuff.

My 362 doesn't get much use either. It is my backup for pinches or to finish cutting if I dull a chain. Sometimes I use it just to run fuel through it and keep it exercised.

Nice saw! I am getting older and broke down and I am a firm believer in having multiple saws on hand for my wood cutting tasks...I start out with the 260 Pros on a tree and work my way on up to the 660...it is all about saving my back.

Reactions: SCOTT S.
Nice saw! I am getting older and broke down and I am a firm believer in having multiple saws on hand for my wood cutting tasks...I start out with the 260 Pros on a tree and work my way on up to the 660...it is all about saving my back.
This is me also. Twenty years ago my wife got me an 026 I quickly hated that little saw and went out and bought a ms460 loved it. Hardly touched the 026 for the next 5 years. As I got older the 26 got more and more use now everything smaller than 8-10” gets cut with the 26. I still like the 460 but I’ve really come to appreciate the 026.

Love my 461. I use my 461 as my main saw these days on anything over 10" and felling.

The 260 doesn't get too many hours lately - I keep it on the atv cutting deadfalls on trails, grape vines and small stuff.

My 362 doesn't get much use either. It is my backup for pinches or to finish cutting if I dull a chain. Sometimes I use it just to run fuel through it and keep it exercised.
What size bar do you regularly use on the 461? Mine came wit ha 20 and 28", but I've heard a 24" is the "sweet spot".