New to me splitters ..... or ..... like I need more projects

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I am getting into some questions that I need answered..... As I scrounge pieces and parts to build my first splitter I have a question about hydraulic fluid tank capacity. I have seen commercial and home built splitters with very small tanks and I have seen some with up to 15 gallon tanks.

Where is the minimum and maximum sizes for a splitter.... I know that there are variables like cylinder size, cycle times, pump capacity, etc but I need someone to point me in the right direction.

For a typical splitter, stick to something around 5-7 gallons. A little bigger or smaller won't hurt much. For splitters, the most important feature of the hydro capacity is heat. You gonna split wood for hours on end in 90 degree weather? Go bigger.

My big boy splitter has about 8 Gal in the tank with lots of head room. No heat issues - ever.

Now I am getting into some questions that I need answered..... As I scrounge pieces and parts to build my first splitter I have a question about hydraulic fluid tank capacity. I have seen commercial and home built splitters with very small tanks and I have seen some with up to 15 gallon tanks.

Where is the minimum and maximum sizes for a splitter.... I know that there are variables like cylinder size, cycle times, pump capacity, etc but I need someone to point me in the right direction.
I have 25 Gallons for a 22 GPM pump !

This is good to know. I have feelers out with a couple of friends who farm to see what we can locate for a tank.

generally size the tank to about the pump output, 11 gpm pump-11gal tank, when using small tanks ( like 1/2 that size) it is real important to keep your hydraulic flow as restriction free as possible as this is where most of the heat develops. The tank is your heat sink so you do not toast your seals in the ram and pump. the other thing about the tank is you need oil expansion room and breathing room, so so a 10 gal tank might only have 7-8 gal. in it. Try to stay away from 90 deg. bends and use Hi-flow couplers. The dump truck system is not designed for continuous repetitive cycles such as found in a splitter, pressure wise it is likely ok but volume is low maybe 3-5 gpm single stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.